Monday, 28 March 2016

Eight Years of Gratitude..

Eight years ago today I wrote my start ever blog post. And eight years ago, I’m not even sure blogging was even a verb. I look back now on those eight years and the path my life has taken and I’m so grateful that I’ve documented those moments, that I can look back on my creative and personal journey and see how far I’ve come.  And as I scrolled back through my early posts this afternoon  to check to see if today was indeed my blog anniversary, I couldn’t help but smile at my tiny, raw photos, early selfies, lop sided crafting efforts and the carefree, unedited simplicity of my blog posts.   

Over the past eight years blogging has grown, changed and moved in such a variety of directions and I’ve lamented here that it’s just not like it used to be. I do still long for those ‘golden days’ of blogging, when friendships were formed, comments were exchanged, swaps were held, ‘blog anniversaries’ were celebrated and link ups created communities.  These days of course, like all social media were always going to be fleeting and for a while I hoped they might return.  Now of course, many bloggers have moved on, comments are exchanged on Instagram and communities are created with hashtags. It is the ever changing nature of the game we play.      

So where does this leave the humble blog.. Two beautiful, inspiring souls have both recently been writing about this very question.  Susannah Conway and Pia Jane Bijkerk have both been blogging for over nine years and as I read both of their recent posts on blogging, I’ve found myself nodding quietly along, feeling all the same emotions, looking for solutions, for new ways of sharing. I’ve come to realise that blogging will never be the same, but it doesn’t have to be.  I think blogging is finding its way to a more personal, stripped back version of its previous incarnation, well it is for me anyway. I feel there is a comfort in both writing and reading blogs, one that I personally haven’t found in any other online format. Perhaps a little like writing and receiving a personal letter.  There is a true reward in pure creative expression, as Susannah noted in her recent post.  So while for some, blogging may no longer be fastest way to gain ‘followers’, make money or sell products, for those of us who just really love to write, to share, to send musings out into the world, ‘stripped-back story telling’ as Pia so beautifully called it, is right at home in the blogging format.

This year I’ve been working on creating a new virtual home, deciding what I’d like to do there, what I want it to be like.  And whenever I think about it, what I really want to do is share stories, musings and ramblings, the way I do in my own journal.  I want to share the way I used to and  in a new, raw and more authentic way too. Because first and foremost I’m a writer and at the moment I’m not writing, for myself, half as much as I want to be.  So, inspired by Kirsten Rickert and Pia I want to write a whole lot more. I want to share stories from our weekends, my thoughts on the universe, my hopes, dreams and my creative journey, in a raw, real and present way.

So this is what I am going to do.

This little space has nurtured my creative soul for eight years.  In those archives are some of the most profound and life changing moments of my almost 32 years.  I will never be able to replace the love and support shared in those comments, the friendships that I’ve made through gentle, touching words and I’m forever grateful to this space, for cradling my heart when I needed it most.
And now I look to the future, I know that today is the perfect day to tie a silk bow around this space, send it all my love and let it go, so I am able to focus on the next part of my creative journey. I’ll be taking some of my archives with me to my new virtual space and some I will be leaving here, nestled in this special space that will forever hold so many precious memories.  

Thank you so much for stopping by, for sharing with me.  I hope you’ll join me in my new online home when it’s ready.

Much Love & Light
xxx

15 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing this new online home you create. Thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be there. Blogging for me is that space to give myself a creative boot up the backside. It's why I started and why I keep going. Can't wait to see the new space unfurl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed the journey with you and look forward to the next. Melissa xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been a constant source of inspiration dear one for so many years. This space is a cherished one to me and I have so enjoyed all that you share. In true kindred spirit ways, I too am walking a similar path at the moment. With a deep desire to share what I've learned on this life journey, a new space of my own is slowly coming into being. I am beyond excited to see what your next chapter will hold. So much love and light beautiful Soph xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have loved reading your blog over the years....I remember buying one of your fabric brooches...the seamstress....from early on and I still have the beautiful wrapping it came in, as well as the brooch., which is looking a bit tired....but well worn and loved....anyway, I am glad you will still be writing and I look forward to seeing your next chapter......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh beautiful! I look forward to following along with your new space. I've loved visiting this beautiful blog of yours from time to time, your words inspire my soul in more ways than one. Much love and light Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words bring such a peaceful presence and I always enjoy reading your posts. I look forward to seeing how your next space unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pleased you're going to keep writing Sophie. I love reading your words, especially those written straight from your heart. I look forward to reading on your new site. Much love xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you will still be writing - yours must be one of the first flew blogs I started reading and your photos are beautiful. It must be great to look back on and learn from.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sophie for sharing the everyday wonders of your life journey these past years. Your posts are always full of warmth and comfort. I look forward to your next chapter. Love and peace to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your old blog was one of the original blogs that I started to follow Sophie. I will continue to follow along with whatever you do in your next adventure! I wonder if you would be interested in attending another Fire and Flour day at our place? We plan to change the format a bit this year...stay tuned x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy the blogging experience just for myself... I don't look for anything other than reading what like minded people are up to and am always inspired by lovely inspirational blogs like yours Sophie...looking forward to following your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This resonates strongly with me. I have struggled with blogging lately, I love to write and create and yet I've found myself feeling constrained by my own online space. Sitting with the idea of creating a new space, but I am not taking action on it. Not really knowing what I want it to be. I feel like I need to take a break from it, allow one thing to end, let it sit for a while like a garden bed left to fallow over winter, then come back with something new. I very much look forward to discovering your new space. I've loved reading your blog over the years, always so inspiring. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautifully& thoughtfully written as always Sophie. It's been a blessing having discovered your blog in the early days of your journey. Have always enjoyed your writing, sharing your heartfelt moments and the extraordinary way you coped and worked through significant life changing events. I too will eagerly look forward to your new online space. I know this will be a wonderful place to keep reading and being inspired. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sophie, like you reading the blogs you mentioned, I found myself nodding along to your post. I started motherwho six years ago, and although it has not grown or expanded anywhere near as much as yours, I do remember those days when I felt like I "knew" people via their blogs. Instagram is a quicker fix and I do love it, but nothing can replace the connectedness of a blog. I have considered giving mine away a few times, but at the end of the day I love to write, so that is what I will do. Congratulations on your next step, I sit here on the other end and await patiently to see what unfolds for you! Lots of love to you and yours from Melbs. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x