Tuesday, 18 August 2015

Happy Pantry Slice..


Don't you just love when baking experiments actually work! A few lovely ladies have asked for the recipe for my 'bit of everything in the pantry' slice last week, so here it is.. my new favourite picnic must bake. 


This Happy Pantry Slice actually came about because I have totally misplaced my scales.  I was all set to bake Michelle's amazing Chocolate Wheaty Biscuits (from her new book), when I realised kitchen scales had just disappeared into thin air. Desperate to bake a treat for our picnic, I rummaged the pantry and had a moment of inspiration.  I knew I didn't need scales to make my Anzac Slice, so I wondered if I could combine the two, to make a yummy, soft, wheaty, oaty, chocolatey slice with a few extra good things thrown in. What I love about slices like this, is there's no fiddling around to make little perfect biscuits, just throw it all in a ball, mix and squish it into a tray. Feel free to add or subtract and of the extras, it's the ultimate anything goes slice.        


Happy Pantry Slice

1 cup of rolled oats
1/2 cup of  desiccated coconut  
1/2 cup of plain flour
1/2 cup of wholemeal spelt flour
1/2 cup of dark muscovado sugar (brown sugar is also fine to use)
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon of bi-carb soda
2 tablespoons of boiling water 
125g of butter
1 tablespoon of good local honey
2 tablespoons of chia seeds
2 tablespoon of linseed
A handful of currants or sultanas
(feel free to add any other pantry favourites, nuts or seeds)
100g of good quality ethical dark chocolate for the topping

Preheat oven to 180 degrees and line a slice tin. 
Combine oats, coconut, flours and sugars in a large mixing bowl. 
Melt butter and honey in a saucepan on a low heat. 
Mix bi-carb soda and water, then add to the butter and syrup and stir in well.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine.
Then add in the chia, linseed, currants and anything else you fancy. 
Mix well to combine and then press the mixture gently into the lined slice tin.
Bake for 20 mins. You want it to be golden but still a little bit soft in the middle. This will give your slice a nice fudgy texture.

While slice is cooling, break chocolate into small pieces into a oven proof bowl.
Melt the chocolate by placing the bowl into the oven, (which should be turned off but still hot) for about five minutes.
Carefully remove the bowl and stir to combine and then drizzle generously over slice and smooth with the knife.
For extra goodness, use a fork to poke holes throughout the slice, which will allow the chocolate to go through the base.

Allow to cool in the fridge until chocolate is set and then enjoy with your favourite pot of tea. 

Happy Baking
Much Love & Light
xxx

11 comments:

  1. Yum!!!! Thank you so much for sharing Sophie. I think I'll pop into the shops to buy some chocolate tomorrow and I'll give this a go. Thanks again. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely Julie! Hope you enjoy, it's been such a hit around here.

      Delete
    2. I love this slice sooooo much Sophie. I just may have eaten it for breakfast and morning tea today!!! Woops. Photos on my blog in today's post if you wish to take a look. Thanks again for such a yummy recipe. xo

      Delete
  2. Thank you Sophie, for posting this recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing...well done. My baking experiments never turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you Kate! I think I got lucky with this one, seems you can do almost anything to a slice!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love Michelle's recipes. Yours looks scrumptious too! I need to do some baking. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia! Yes indeed I love Michelle's recipes too, there's so much heart in them. x

      Delete
  5. So good...looks delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks lovely Jane! I'm excited to try your pudding recipe this weekend. Hope you might be down this way soon. Would love to catch up x

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x