Friday, 26 June 2015

And So I Retreat..

 It's Friday again.. And my mind is whirling with ideas.  June does that to me it seems, a mid year burst of creativity perhaps.  A time to reflect on what's been achieved so far in the year and how much there is to still do.  The ideas just keep coming.. While I'm folding the washing, making mud pies in the sandpit, brewing a third cup of tea. Some are big and enchanting, some small and useful, some are solutions to previous ideas that just weren't working out.  But with all these ideas, buzzing around, my head is full and multi-tasking just isn't working.  I decide to write everything down, but I can't find where my notebook is hiding.  My phone is running out of battery, it's nearly nap time and I'm wondering where the morning has disappeared to. And all of a sudden, I realise why I'm so scattered. I feel like I need to act on every idea immediately, or it might vanish or not ever come to fruition. It's a constant juggling act, even at 3am.  It's in this moment I realise where I really need to work on simplifying my life.  It's not in my wardrobe or kitchen cupboards, but in my own head. And right now there's only one cure.. A retreat to the garden.

With nap time underway, I work quickly to gather the essentials, tea, journal, pen, blanket and some crochet flowers I've been working on, just in case the words don't flow.  I pick a sprig of lavender on the way and inhale deeply. There is instant calm in the raw scent of lavender.  A gentle reminder of meandering through sweet country gardens and antique treasure troves.  The sun breaks through the clouds in the perfect spot, right between the kale, beets and rosemary. And it's here, among the leafy greens that I find myself again. My shoulders drop, my mind clears and I retreat, just for a little while.  My journal remains closed and the crochet untouched, for what I really need is the warming embrace of Mother Earth, from the earth below and the sun above. 
 All the rest can wait.    

Much Love & Light
xxx

7 comments:

  1. I feel like that often, my mind is just whirring with ideas and it can be overwhelming, and feels as if those thoughts and plans will float away if they're not addressed or written down. The best solution? Another cup of tea! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yes indeed, another cup of tea and a little fresh air, usually fixes everything!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post. Thanks for this reminder that it's ok to just BE. I get so busy with life that I end up filling every moment with projects and busyness. I need to remember to sit, to have a cup of tea, to listen and that time doesn't need to be filled with anything but relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sophie I'm hearing you!!! My mind has been spinning with thoughts and ideas lately. I wonder if it's the cooler weather giving me more energy, as summer heat leaves me feeling drained. I've been doing the same.......retreating to the sunshine, our garden, my knitting or journaling. They always ground me and bring me back to where I need to be. Take care lovely xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Sophie, thank you for this beautiful reminder of the importance of retreating and reconnecting with one's self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i needed this reminder the days off work i try to cram too much into if i am not doing something i feel guilty. It takes more effort to stop and do nothing, enjoy the weather whatever it may be. The sun does help though but none today

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this reminder. I think it's easy to forget the restorative power of just being. Beautiful photo too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x