Wednesday, 17 June 2015

Midwinter Musings..

This Sunday marks the shortest day of the year, the winter solstice, an important date on the yearly calendar, celebrated by the ancients as a time of hope, renewel and a sign of brighter times ahead.  And this week in my little part of the world, it's certainly been feeling like Midwinter.  Cold mornings, grey clouds, rainy skies and short days are making our usually warm and sunny desert oasis feel like something from a Bronte novel.  Coupled with the heightened emotions of today's transformative new moon, it feels like a rather mystical and auspicious time of year. 

And while warm blankets, mugs of tea by the fireplace and rain on the tin roof are all rather romantic, I couldn't help but feel a little unsettled yesterday by the lack of sun, day light hours and overwhelming desire to fulfill creative ideas and dreams all at once.  And rather than heeding my own advice, stepping back and slowing down, I just became more flustered, unorganised and upset that winter wasn't giving me enough hours in the day. It was only when I checked the calendar that I realised my emotions were aligned with the celestial movements and after a cup of chamomile tea and a good laugh with my mama over Skype about the crazy day we'd had, I went to bed knowing I needed to do the rest of the week differently. 

So today now focusing on getting as much out of these daylight hours this as possible, no matter how cold and rainy they are. I've never noticed how much the weather and lack of sunshine can affect my productivity, but as I sat down to dream up summer designs and working on new products yesterday, I realised it just wasn't the time for brainstorming tropical rainforest photo shoots. It was however, perfect for making chicken soup and listening to old jazz records.  

Like everything in life, I'm realising that my connection with the seasons is all about balance.  Creative moments can't be forced, the sun will shine again and after Sunday the days will start to get longer and we can once again play in the garden until after the sun sets. Until then, I'm slowing this week down, taking time to do some new moon soul journaling, embracing the beautiful soft grey hues of winter and nourishing my soul with yoga, meditation and soup.  Some weeks, were just made for lingering, and this midwinter week is definitely one of them.  

And just as I make peace with these wintery days, the sun peeks through the clouds for the first time this week and baths the kitchen in its warm embrace.  A sure sign of wonderful things to come.

Much Love and Light
xxx

8 comments:

  1. Such a perfect poetic description of the days we are having x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, such a perfect reminder to slow down and embrace the seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not lost on me that the Solstice falls on the day we will be officially moving from the farm back to our house in town to prepare it for sale, and all that that symbolises...and my stiff and cricked neck is definitely symbolic of my cricked emotions about it all too! Ah, this New Moon was a doosey! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Becs, thinking of you lovely! It's always fascinating to notice how much these celestial cycles affect us isn't it. Best wishes with the move. xx

      Delete
  4. More and more I'm starting to realise that my youngest daughter is very sensitive to the moon cycle! Actually so am I! The last full moon we ended up in the emergency department with a very high fever and a very frazzled mummy! And the past few days have also been very challenging with very little sleep and a lot of crying (mostly me!) I think we definitely need to take your advice and slow down and step back! Roll on school holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lovely, I hope all has settled at your place. Yes indeed the cycles are something to pay attention to and learn from. I think these gorgeous little ones of ours are more in tune than ever before. We say hello to the moon every night and it seems to be a lovely grounding way to connect with the cycle. Hope your days are slow and gentle.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x