Friday, 6 February 2015

Reveling in the Everyday..

Once I used to chase beauty, now I revel in it..

For the last ten years my little tagline has always to been, 'I write, I create, I drink tea and I chase beauty'.  I used love the idea of chasing beauty, like it was out there somewhere to run after and capture in a jar, like a specimen in a museum. It seems though, the last two and a half years of my life have taught me that I might have been going about things the wrong way.  You see, I think all the chasing of beauty wore me out, looking for it out there somewhere, in far off places, destinations I couldn't reach, in a life that wasn't destined for me.  These days as I take pleasure in the simple things and spend my days at home, pottering and playing with my girl, I have come to realise that all the beauty I was chasing, is right here, all around me and within me, I had just never stopped to really notice.  I went straight from high school to university, straight from university to work and then back again and then into a teaching position that encompassed my whole life. I was barely at home. And when I was, I was busy 'chasing' inspiration, looking for external sources of inspiration, rather than taking a moment to enjoy what was all around me.  

So these days, I take a moment to enjoy the lovely smell of lemon oil in my homemade washing liquid and bask in the glorious afternoon sunshine as I peg sweet floral bloomers on the clothes line.  I pause to take a glimpse at the delightful illustrations in the picture books that I re-shelve for third time today and feel a little bubble of excitement as I grab my basket ready to gather veggies straight from the garden for dinner.  And when I'm in need of a little inspiration, rather than wishing I was in a far off country, or finding myself spending hours searching through Pinterest, we don our walking shoes and sun hats and head down to the river, gathering flowers, feathers and leaves along the way, watching the clouds paint the afternoon sky and listening to sweet bird songs as we walk.  Each day I revel in this simple, quiet life of ours.  I remind myself to take things slowly, to enjoy these precious days, to worry less about the passing hours and more about embracing them with joy and gratitude. To find that balance, online and offline and most of all to be present and open to every opportunity that life presents.   

Much Love & Light
xxx

13 comments:

  1. This speaks to me so much. Too often, I find myself wishing for future events or dreaming of how things should be instead of enjoying what I have right here and now. That's not to say we should ever give up dreaming, but we should definitely take the time to realise the good things in our lives can sometimes be the small things we'd never otherwise notice.

    Katie Writes Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, a timely reminder and such a pretty flower mandala! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post. Beauty - I think you've found it. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post so much. So beautiful and refreshing. Will be sharing. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly how you feel and I think instead of chasing the beauty let it come naturally to you..... and it will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read often but don't often comment, but wanted to let you know how much this post delights me. I am happiest when I can see the beauty in the small moments of my life. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just perfect Sophie, it's so easy to miss those moments of beauty chasing it elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely post. This weekend our family seems to have done all of that and I've loved every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have come to understand that constantly seeking out a life I thought I needed has caused me to miss so much of what is important. I am so much more content when I have the space (both temporal and physical) to see what is before me and respect the joy, sadness and everything in between.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post Sophie - so true about what's right near you. Being home more helps you to see it all a lot more clearly. Cheers, Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've learnt the same lessons in life, beauty, happiness, well I don't believe it's something you find 'out there' but something that's inside, close. Have a lovely week, surrounded with your own beauty :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing this - I've been guilty of searching for happiness in unreachable places, and I'm trying to adopt a new, more simple approach to life.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sophie, your descriptions of life and everything in it are so beautiful and inspiring! Reading your blog make's me smile :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x