Thursday, 20 November 2014

Finding Mindfulness in Morning Tea - Zucchini & Lemon Bread..

We've found ourselves a new routine, Miss Tallow and I, well, for this week at least.  Afternoon naps have all but disappeared, so now during that sweet morning nap, is my time to 'get stuff done'.  And this week I've found myself in an interesting space, in a joyous creative overload.  With deadlines out of the way and Christmas approaching, I'm full of ideas and don't know which one to tackle first.  Thank goodness we found a bigger dining table last weekend, because that's where you'll find me this week, surrounded by twine and leaves, notebooks and magazines wishing I had an extra set of hands (and ending up with four half finished projects and no where to eat dinner).  Yesterday as I was boiling the kettle for the third time (does anyone else do that, boil the kettle and then completely forget about it),  I realised I needed to slow down and really be mindful of this precious time, rather than rushing in and trying to achieve everything at once. 

So today I started things differently, I picked up the stray toys in the living room, I light a candle, rolled out my yoga mat and took 20 minutes to nourish my body.  This in itself transformed my 'get stuff done' time into a blissful moment of calm.  Afterwards as I made myself a cup of tea and quietly enjoyed the last piece of zucchini and lemon bread, I noticed how much clearer my intentions for the day were and while I made a little creative list (the only way I ever remember my ideas) I noted what I could do today and what needed more time.  All of a sudden this simple morning tea ritual was transforming from a frantic, 'quick do it while you can', to a mindful and nourishing experience.  

As I complete my first to do (sharing this wonderfully easy and super yummy recipe with you), I begin to realise that each action, every daily experience can be done in a way that brings joy, enhances and even romances the everyday.  For me, it's taking the busyness out of the day, slowing it all done. It's the delicate imperfections of my favourite handmade mug and using fine china just because. It's listening to soul embracing music, burning a beautiful beeswax candle and enjoying something homemade and nourishing for morning tea.  It's in those details, so easily forgotten, that make those everyday moments, just that little bit more blissful. 

Zucchini & Lemon Bread (adapted from this recipe)

2 cups of plain flour
2 tsp. of baking powder
2 free range eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup of organic butter *
1 1/3 cups of sugar (I used a little less)
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup of organic natural yogurt (I used this one)
About 1 cup of grated zucchini (I used two small zucchinis)

Preheat your oven to 180C and line a loaf tin. 
Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside. 
In your favourite large mixing bowl beat the eggs, then add softened butter (or oil) and sugar and mix until well combined. 
Add lemon juice, yogurt and lemon zest to wet mixture and combine well.
Gently fold grated zucchini into wet mixture. 
Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and combine everything into a lovely batter. 
Pour batter into loaf tin and bake for about 40 - 45 mins, until lovely and golden (or a little longer if needed**) 
Serve warm with a lovely pot of tea. 

 The loaf keeps well in the fridge in an air tight container and stays lovely and moist for 3 -4 days (if you can make it last that long). 

Notes: 
*I think coconut oil would be a wonderful substitution (unfortunately I didn't have on hand, but will definitely try it next time) 
** Mine took 50 mins  to bake as my oven only has a bottom element


What do you like to do to add a little bit of bliss to your day?
Much Love
xxx
   

12 comments:

  1. That recipe looks amazing. I've never baked with zucchini before so this is on my to do list! Thank you for also sharing your insights in to enjoying moments more. I've just returned from holiday and realise how important this is not to get caught up in normal every day life - it's too precious for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! I'm a bit obsessed with adding veggies to my baking at the moment. Zucchini just seems to work in so many things. And yes I love taking that holiday mindset into the everyday, such a great reminder. xx

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great plan of yoga, morning tea with home baked goods and a cuppa and then start the to do list. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Kathy! It doesn't happen everyday, but when it does, it is lovely indeed. Hope you are having a fabulous week. xx

      Delete
  3. It definitely sounds like you have found a wonderful way to help concentrate on yourself and the moments that often pass by in a flurry of must-do activity. I love the idea of slowing down and becoming more mindful of the experiences of the time and space we are currently occupying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Anita, yes it is amazing how easy it is to get caught up in the busyness, even a few intentional breaths can help to be in the moment can't they. Wishing you a wonderful week. xx

      Delete
  4. You've definitely found one of the most wonderful ways to make the day flow! Can't wait to have a bit of quiet in the kitchen so I can try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww thanks so much lovely! Yes indeed, it doesn't always happen, but it's so fabulous when it does. It's a lovely reminder to come back to centre, when it's so easy to feel all over the place (all my crazy to do lists never help). Much love to you lady! xx

      Delete
  5. Hi Sophie - I love your morning ritual. What a lovely way to start your day. I get the same result from meditation. It centers me and seems to put me on track for the rest of the day. I will be borrowing your recipe for lemon zucchini bread - it looks light and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! Oh yes so wonderful you bring up meditation, I try and fit a little bit in after my yoga practice. It's something I find truly amazing in so many ways. Hope you enjoy the recipe and have a fabulous week. xx

      Delete
  6. Couldn't agree more! Slow living has become a big passion for me, yet I fail more than once to slow down. This weekend I had two days by myself to to lots of creative projects, and boiling the water for the third time is JUST what happened. Chaos everywhere I too got out my yoga mat, and was reminded of just how amazing yoga is when it comes to slowing down and taking care of your body. And thanks for sharing your lovely recipe! You're an inspiration :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much lovely Kathrine! You are the sweetest. And your comment made me giggle, we are so much alike! It's amazing isn't it, embracing a slower pace of life can be so rewarding, I get really passionate about it too. But it's that daily reminder that's so important, that not everything has to be done this second (although it's such fun!). Hooray for yoga! Much love to you xxx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x