Tuesday, 2 September 2014

From Little Things..

Something amazing happens when you grow your own food, something I never really imagined would have such an impact on me.  You become so wonderfully involved in the whole process, you begin to chat to your little seedlings, ensuring they are in just the right amount of sunshine and are standing tall and happy.  And when your broad beans are producing their first beautiful big pods, you smile from ear to ear knowing that somehow you played a little part in this process and because of this grand connection, your evening meals and your life will be a whole lot sweeter.  

From little things, big things grow.  From our little patch of earth in our suburban rental property, we are growing as much of our own food as we can.  Each day we are consciously changing the path we are walking, teaching our rainbow girl the importance of each tiny seed, of the dirt between her toes.  

It was only two years ago that my interest in gardening really began and back then it was a way for me to grieve, to take out my anger on the dry soil, pull the weeds and wipe the tears and find a way to connect to everything I'd lost.  These days, being in the garden is a part of my everyday, a joyful meditation and reunion with Mother Earth. The planting, watering, weeding, harvesting, I rejoice in it all.  And as first my romanesco broccoli peeks towards the sunlight, my heart is full, knowing that we are on our way, to providing our little family with beautiful organic food and playing our part to shift the current paradigm towards an incredibly exciting future. 

Want a little inspiration to get into the garden? I recommend watching these two TED talks, the first, Future Farmers by the fabulous Costa Georgiadis and A Challenge to Live Sustainably by Nick Ritar from the ever inspiring Milkwood Permaculture.   

Much Love
xxx

4 comments:

  1. Such an inspiring post, thank you! I look forward to checking out the TED talks. Have a beautiful week. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren, I hope you enjoy the talks. I particularly love Costa's enthusiasm. x

      Delete
  2. Love what you did with every bottle :)

    Cathy Vargas
    Vintage Girls
    www.vindiebaby.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've really been wanting to grow more of my own food, thank you for the inspiration. These lovely Spring days are just perfect to get started.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x