Thursday, 12 June 2014

We Grow & Gather - Oranges..

Day by day we have waited, for shades of green to turn vibrant shades of orange. You can often find me staring from the kitchen window, just basking in the beauty and colour of the two citrus trees that take centre stage in our beloved garden. There is such romance in meandering across the lawn and picking a ripe orange right from the tree, inhaling its fragrant perfume and knowing that moment of childhood delight, pulling the skin carefully away from the juicy flesh is only moments away.    

When we first moved into our little white cottage just a stones throw from the beautiful Murray River, we couldn't believe our luck to find two citrus trees in the garden, one mandarin and one orange. While we waited for the fruit to ripen, the branches groaning under with weight of their delights, I daydreamed and searched for recipes that would make the most of our sweet bounty.   

The inspiration for one such recipe arrived courtesy of an episode of River Cottage Australia.  A delightful slice, that's a little bit naughty and feels a little bit like cheating (with no oven required) but is simply the most lovely and easy treat to serve for afternoon tea when friends drop by.

 Citrus Slice
(adapted & inspired by this recipe)

For the base:
80g of butter
250g of condensed milk
250g packet of plain sweet biscuits (I used arrowroot biscuits)
  1 cup of desiccated or shredded coconut 
2 tablespoons of orange juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice 
Grated zest of the orange and lemon

For the icing:
2 cups of icing sugar
2 tablespoons of orange juice 
1 tablespoon of  lemon juice
Orange zest and desiccated coconut to finish 

Line a slice tray with baking paper
Finely crush biscuits in a food processor and then stir through coconut and zest to combine
Melt butter and condensed milk together in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until combined and smooth. 
 Take off the heat and stir in orange and lemon juice.
Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and stir through until evenly combined. 
Pour mixture into tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon and then refrigerate.   

Combine icing sugar, orange and lemon juice in a small saucepan on a low heat.  
Stir until smooth, remove from heat and spread over cooled slice.
Finish with orange zest and coconut.
Refrigerate until firm and then cut into pieces and enjoy.

Much Love
xxx

7 comments:

  1. Yum...might try this tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I don't have condensed milk in the larder otherwise I would be making this and eating it all myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh yummm, yes to afternoon tea. Sadly though I don't think I'd get a chance to make this once Ben discovered a tin of condensed milk in the panty. I'd likely find him eating it from the can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! That slice is exactly what we have been after. We have a very large bowl of oranges that we are trying to use, so I cant wait to try this. Lovely photos too! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I need! A homemade cake... and a bed, please.
    Must be delicious! I'll try it.
    Thank's for the recipe!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My little citrus tree are only up to my knees, I will have much staring and waiting until I hit the motherload like you have

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x