Friday, 30 May 2014

In Our Garden.. Late Autumn

If you'd told me a few years ago that my ultimate mother's day present would be a pair of gumboots and some gardening gloves I'm sure I would have laughed.  Not that I didn't enjoy the garden, but I just didn't have much time, nor the inclination to make it an important part of my life.  It was when my world was turned upside down that I found great solace in my garden and began a fascination for herbs, veggies and flowers, thanks in part to the beautiful book, Velvet Pears. On the days when my grief was all encompassing, I would fit in my favourite chair, with a pot of tea overlooking the garden and read all day . And it was on one of those days, deeply immersed in the beauty of Foxglove Spires that my enchantment with gardening really began.  Over the past two years my love for gardening has totally blossomed, so much so that within a week of moving into our new home, I was off to the local nursery to find seedlings for the wonderful empty patch in the backyard just calling to be transformed into our beloved veggie garden. This season was all about getting plants in the ground and was very much inspired by Alys Folwer's Edible Garden series (You can watch them on You Tube and I dare you not to fall in love with 1.Alys, her fabulous accent and super cute wardrobe, 2. Her wonderful recipes and amazing and doable garden). So with great enthusiasm, we threw seeds about, planted seedlings where ever there was space and with some wonderful morning sunshine and daily tending, things began to grow.  

This time of year is all about greens, so in went rainbow chard, a few kale varieties and spinach too.

We were very lucky to have established mandarin and orange trees overflowing with amazing fruit.  

Snapdragons not only look lovely but attract good bugs to our little patch.

We filled much of the garden with broad beans which are not only lovely to eat, but will help make the soil more productive for future crops.  They've just begun to blossom these amazing little flowers.

Also springing up we have broccoli, celery, garlic, onions, pumpkin, rocket, radishes, carrots and a lovely variety of herbs. Over the back is a little DIY pea trellis made from an old bed frame.  



By the back door are potted herbs for easy watering and picking.  My current favourite weekend activity is finding second hand pots and tins and adding more unusual varieties to my little herb family.

It's a busy time in our veggie patch, finishing last minute planting before the days get too cold.  I'm also working on a bit of an experiment with my rocket and spinach plants, so that I never have to buy them from the supermarket again.  Can't wait to see if it works. 

What's happening in your garden at the moment?

Much Love
xxx

PS. Thank you so so much for your amazing comments on my last post. They mean so much to me and I'm so touched that you took the time to share your thoughts. It was so wonderful to read your stories and it filled me with love and hope that there is a beautiful community out there who feel like I do.  I can't wait to rekindle the good old days and connect more with each of you and will spend some time replying individually to your comments over the weekend.  

12 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Sophie. And so beautiful to know that you found solace in your garden. I think I'll check out Alys' tips on the weekend as I'm headed to the local nursery for some potting mix and seedlings. Have you read the book Herbaceous? - it's a great reference. Thanks for so much inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jodi. Hope you had a lovely weekend in the garden and enjoyed a little bit of Alys. I can't wait to check out that book, sounds wonderful xx

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous post Hun, I agree it's beautiful to know where you have found peace through your grief. It's a different journey for us all. I appreciate you giving us these insights about something so personal. Your garden is coming along so wonderfully, you and Ben should be so proud. Big love. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear friend, so blessed to have beautiful people like you to share my journey with xx

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks super productive Sophie...well done. I am a huge fan of having flowers in with the vegetables. Gardening is wonderfully peaceful and rewarding isn't it? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely Jane! It's been such a wonderful place to think and daydream and the flowers just make it all the more lovely. Can't wait to add more in Spring. I've always wanted to grow foxgloves and this year I'm making it happen xx

      Delete
  4. So beautifully written, as always! I've found such peace in my vegetable garden too. I only started this year, but I'm completely hooked. We live in a ground floor apartment in suburbia, but plan on living somewhere rural in the future, so this feels like the wee beginnings :) I would love to be able to grow enough spinach and salad to never have to go to the supermarket again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine, you are so lovely! Yes I think it's all about starting somewhere, that's what we have been doing, and bit by bit we are finding ways to make things more productive. I'd love to have land some day too. I'll be writing a post about my salas experiment so stay tuned, it's totally working at the moment. Xx

      Delete
  5. This looks so lovely and is absolutely my dream! We are apartment dwellers, my husband and I, so we are a bit limited as to what I can plant, but I love my herbs! Keep us updated with the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely Brooke! So wonderful to hear you're using your apartment space, there's still plenty you can do. Looking forward to showing you how I'm planting my salad leaves, think it might work for you too. xx

      Delete
  6. OMGosh! THANKYOU! I just went and had a look at "The Edible Garden" on You Tube and I. am. hooked! It's fabulous! I just spent my morning in the veggie garden after only watching 1/2 of one episode! Now I'm off to watch them all with a hot cup of coffee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wonderful Jacinta! I'm so glad you like it! Isn't it so inspiring! I won't tell you how many times I've watched the series. So much to learn! xx

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x