Saturday, 19 April 2014

Making & Doing - the Easter Edition..

It's such a joy to spend the long weekend together in our new home.  It's the first opportunity since moving back, we've all be able to spend longer than a weekend together as a family and the everyday moments, baking and gardening are proving to be the most precious family time.

 I love creating new traditions and this year seems to be the perfect opportunity to try out some new things we've had on our family to do list. The first was to make our own hot 'heart' buns.. what an adventure.  While not overly difficult, they take time and accuracy to get them just right.  I made a little batch of nine using the traditional CWA recipe that the inspiring Kirsten suggested. I must say, they were a labour of love and I'm so happy I put the effort in, they were totally worth it.  A little wonky, probably could have had the oven up higher and added a little more mixed spice, but all in all, a yummy and satisfying new tradition and that I can't wait for Tallow to help me with for many years to come.    

We finally caught up on the second Hobbit film.  We decided it was inevitable that with a running time of over two and a half hours, that we would never see it in one sitting, so we watched it over the whole day, in between kneading dough, feeding time, laundry and searching for the dog (who got spooked by a low flying eagle and hid from us for half the day).  I loved the Hobbit growing up (I always kept a copy on my bedside table) and have been amazed at how vividly it's been captured.        

We are slowly working on our back patio, adding a little potting table, lots of hanging pots, herbs and greenery. Now all need to find is the perfect outdoor table setting and some fairy lights and we'll be ready for an Autumn dinner party. 

Inspired by the lovely Gaby we are looking forward to a no buy month in May and I'm also excited to be taking part in Mindful in May too.  It seems like a great time for personal challenges.  I just have to remind myself to invest in some slippers and warm socks before our no spending starts as these Autumn nights are getting wonderful and crisp.  

I'm loving this home, Pia's beautiful raw and honest post, these beautiful wares and this sweet collaboration.   And I am beyond delighted and truly humbled to receive a place in this year's Kidspot Hall of Fame, beside so many of my favourite bloggers, who have greatly inspired my blogging journey over the past six years.  

Tomorrow we are planning a picnic in the garden, followed by planting out some new seedlings, reworking a table Ben made me a few years ago and an afternoon walk in our favourite park.  

And Easter wouldn't be complete without a visit from the Easter Bunny, so a little basket was thrifted this morning and filled with some sweet books, a cute cardigan, a wooden teething rattle and a little handmade retro tea towel bunny.  It's sitting on the fireplace next to our Easter vignette, ready for Miss Tallow's first Easter morning.

Wishing you and your family a beautiful long weekend whatever you are up to.
Happy Easter!
Much love
xxx

4 comments:

  1. that's a cute bunny! Well I think the Hobbit Movie had some extra tidbits that weren't in the book, but that was ok

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful bunny, it is adorable. I would love for you to share the hot cross buns recipe, I think that is more of an Australian/European pastry, as I have never seen them in the various places I've lived in the USA. Beautiful memories for your little one, and the Hobbit has been excellent;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are also just watching the 2nd Hobbit movie, I've not read the books, but my 11 year old boy has. If I hear him say one more time "this is just how I imagined it"!!!!! That's good to hear! Happy Easter x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a most wonderful Easter long weekend. I always love the Easter break with the public holidays that seeds many places close up shop, it seems to slow everyone's pace down a little. Please tell me where you got a wooden teething rattle. I have struggled to find anyone selling nice hardwood ones in Australia, I'd rather like to avoid getting one from overseas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x