Thursday, 10 April 2014

Everyday Ethical Style.. My Journey

 Top - Thrifted  Skirt - Vanilla and Lace
Tights & Belt - Retail (2012) Shoes - Merrell 
Scarf - Karma Kameleon (2012)  Basket - Noosa Farmers Market

Over the past six months I've found myself at a fashion crossroads.. After Tallow was born I realised my current wardrobe was not entirely suitable for a new mama. I owned a whole lot of dresses I couldn't feed in and other pieces that just weren't very user friendly.  It was a hot and humid summer in Queensland and I spent a good portion of it wearing the same three nursing singlets and a pair of thrifted denim shorts on repeat. Totally uninspiring, but not so bad for the wallet. I often felt like my personal style didn't quite work on the Sunshine Coast, I don't really do the beachy vibe and own far more black clothing than anyone else along Hastings Street.  In the middle of winter I was the only one wearing boots! So when we got back to Victoria, I almost breathed a sigh of relief and with Autumn on its way, I can finally unpack my cherished jackets, boots and scarves and rediscover myself and my new mama style.

This process of rediscovery and in a sense creating a new style continues to challenging and healing for me, both personally and ethically. While embracing my post baby body, learning to adjust and be kind of myself has been an important lesson in self love, finding clothes that honour my commitment to my ethical fashion pledge has been an eye opening and inspiring experience.   
    
Making the decision to only buy second hand and ethical clothing last year really changed my whole perspective on the fashion industry and this year I just couldn't go back to buying clothes the way I used to.  The issue of ethical fashion is vast and complex and is something I'll be writing more about in the future. For now it's suffice to say, I go to great lengths to consider and research everything I buy and wear, which makes shopping (especially for a new mama living in a regional area) a very interesting experience.

And it is this experience that has prompted me to begin my outfit posts again, to document, share and discuss my ethical fashion journey and also rediscover my personal style.

If you are interested in finding out more about the Year of Ethical Fashion, pop over to Pip's for more information and check out Peppermint Magazine for lots of ethical inspiration.  And you can check out my previous outfit posts here, the last one was just over six months ago and is certainly one I will always remember.

Much Love
xxx

12 comments:

  1. I love your style and I'm really interested in Ethical Fashion, it's something that I've been thinking a lot lately...I can't wait to read more!

    ps: sorry for my bad English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely! So wonderful to hear you're interested. Looking forward to sharing and discussing more with you x

      Delete
  2. Hi Sophie...any tips on op shopping...I try to follow ethical fashion in particular avoiding items from Asian sweatshops, but I really struggle in op shops trying to find items...there must be a knack...... would love any tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzie, I think there is a whole blog post on this, thank you for inspiring me, I will put one together. For now, I think going often is the key and to op shops out of town. Also have an idea in mind of what you are looking for, as it's often overwhelming just trawling through all the racks. Hope this might help. x

      Delete
  3. Love op shopping, and understand your predicament completely. Having a baby changes our bodies so much, and our needs for fashion changes. Looking forward to knowing your journey. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your style and excited to see your doing outfit posts again. Looking forward to some Autumn inspiration. Hope you'll share some thrifting tips too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very inspiring! i am about to become a mommy (around the end of june!) and I will experience probably much of what you described. It is encouraging to see the evolution of style and confidence with motherhood...you're doing it beautifully, dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brooke, so sweet of you. How exciting for you, it's a most magical and life changing journey indeed. x

      Delete
  6. Lovely ensemble!

    www.ensembledeux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! So funny to read your words about your style not really meshing with the Sunshine Coast. I'm not sure if you know this but I was born in QLD and Reubs and I lived in Maroochydore/Mooloolaba for about 6 years before we moved to Sydney (before we moved to Victoria!) and I always struggled with what to wear! I never fit in with the beachy scene and seriously longed for coats and boots. People often think we're a bit mad for leaving tropical QLD for Victoria, but I like the weather and clothing choices down hear a million times more. Love hearing about your ethical fashion journey too! It's something I'm (slowly) working on as well.

    Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! A fashion post! I SO know what you mean about wondering what to wear in summer, because I have the same problem here in sunny Perth. I have been thinking more about shopping ethically, but I'm so used to buying clothes from the big stores and funky boutiques, and making that swap is hard! However, after downloading the Shop Ethical app I have been looking into companies in general and trying to find alternatives. I'm working on food and cosmetics first, and then clothing and other material items will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hear you mumma on style and feeding. I pushed my style envelope so I could keep honouring my style through Fraser's pregnancy and beyond. I came up with so many tricks to stretch my wardrobe from pre-pregnancy, whilst pregnant and still now with Fraser 8 months old in a few days time. I'm excited to see your fashion evolve again. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x