Friday, 11 April 2014

April Seven Vignettes.. My Nan's Recipes

After taking last month off, I was so excited for the start of April to roll around so I could put my creativity to the test with a new round of Seven Vignettes.  I hadn't realised just how much I enjoyed participating until I was yearning to find my props box and get styling.  This month the themes were so beautiful and worked perfectly for an idea I had a little while ago, which was to style some of my Nan's beautiful handwritten recipes.  

Day 1 - Natural. Inspired by mother nature's delightful gift, honey fresh from the billabong.. Just perfect for making honey biscuits. 

Day 2 - Simple Things. Just a few simple ingredients is all that's needed for our family shortbread recipe. {the secret to success is not to overwork the dough}. 

Day 3 - Adventure. Taking a globetrotting culinary adventure to make Turkish Delight. 

Day 4 - Handmade. Crochet and baking, just seem to go hand in hand (especially if there is a pot of tea too). On the menu, coconut biscuits.. 

Day 5 - Wise Words. There's always a few wise words at the end of my Nan's hand written recipes. This lemon delicious sponge is one of her specialties and the recipe lovingly suggests it can be 'eaten hot or cold, with custard or cream'. Yum! 

Day 6 - Found. Intrigued by this orange & apple marmalade recipe. Might have to try it using some oranges 'found' in our garden. 

Day 7 - Thankful. Ever so thankful to be the caretaker of this very special recipe book, handwritten by my beautiful Nan. Within its pages are recipes from her mother & sister and her own tried and tested delights. It truly is a feast for the senses and a precious peek into generations of treasured memories.

I very much treasure these very well loved recipes.  Each page tattered and loved, every recipe made many times.They is so timeless and it was a delight to bring them to life.  Many of the vignettes also contain bits and pieces from my nan's kitchen, including the lovely little spoon and handmade bowl.  I'm looking forward to printing copies for my family, especially my Nan. She's been such an inspiration in my search for a more simple way of life and I would love to ensure our special family recipes continue to be made and passed down through the generations.   

If you'd like to find out more about seven vignettes, pop over to Interiors Addict for all the details and be sure to check out #7vignettes for all the amazing vignettes from April.

Happy Friday!
Much Love
xxx

12 comments:

  1. Your vigs are beautiful Sophie. I think you've styled those precious recipes beautifully. I am also lucky enough to have inherited many handwritten recipes from my husbands grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my fave feature in your blog, im glad its back weeeeh I love the rustic touch you gave, you have great taste, you are very inspirational being ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore this feature on your blog as well, it is such a gorgeous moment for me to pause and just admire something PRETTY! I hope you are thinking of turning these into note cards or post cards, because I would just love to send something like this out to my friends and my own nan;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you so much Lindsay, you are the sweetest. Thank you for inspiring me, I might just have to print a few more. xx

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, these pics are stunning! You could seriously turn these into the pages of a recipe book with the recipe clearly written on the opposite page. You know I would buy it! Just beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wendy, thank you so much, that's so lovely of you. As I created each day, I began to think about what I might do with the pictures. I love your idea and might just look into it a bit more. xx

      Delete
  5. These are absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful vignettes with so many memories...Beautiful, in every way... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful set. I really want to make my own but I don't know where to start. Yours are stunning.

    Kezia-Eloise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I agree with Wendy, you could make a book of these. And your photography skills are admirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's so lovely of you xx

      Delete
  9. Sophie, these are beautiful. I could very definitely see these as a collection or a book. The photos and the recipes are a treasure. How wonderful that you get to keep and use those recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x