Saturday, 8 February 2014

The Winds of Change..

The winds of change are here..  Since the start of the year there's been something in the air that has been calling me to once again to focus to the horizon and navigate the course of our dreams.  It began when we started to declutter and simply our lives.  We spoke about what we wanted in our world and where we were headed next.  While we love the lifestyle of the Sunshine Coast there has been something missing. It just hasn't feel like home, not the way Mildura did for the past four years.  We began to talk about what home was to us, why it was important and how we might find it again. One word just kept singing true and that was community, something we realised we have been longing for and missing since our move back to Queensland. 

 The last year and a half has been some of the most amazing months of our lives. A time to find our feet again, to heal and most of all to bring a our beautiful Tallow into the world. But the one thing that has been missing for us, is a true place to call home. So in the same week as we began to think about where to next, searching for work far and wide, an amazing job opportunity arose for Ben back in Mildura.  We could only take it to be a sign, that it was time to return, to reconnect and start a new, in the same town but as very different people to the grieving couple who fled in the Spring of 2012.

We left our little town in haste, in despair, searching for some sunshine to light our darkest moments.  We needed family and a place to hide away and shelter the storm. After we lost Cohen, I just wanted to disappear and never be seen again.  I couldn't bring myself to face the world, not even those closest to me. But as we have had time to heal and once again find joy in our lives, I finally feel like I can face that part of my life. I know it is time to open the doors to my heart again, to let the light in, the community and beautiful people I cherish.  There are many conversations to have, stories to share and friendships to mend and I now know I have the strength to begin.   

So once again our little wandering family is packing up, ready for the next part of our adventure.  A fresh start, in a place we have grown to love so dearly and somewhere we can truly call home.  Ben is already on the road with our lives packed up into a trailer, while Tallow, Jack, Olive and I eagerly wait to find a little home to move into (hopefully next week).  The whole process has happened in a matter of weeks and emotions have been running so high.  But as the dust settles and the reality of the move sinks in, I'm excited to see what unfolds for us.

Things may be a little more quiet than usual around here for a few weeks (as they have been this week), while I finish the last of the packing and prepare for our departure. I've seen enough moving boxes to last me a lifetime, but each day I'm working to find the positives and embracing the excitement of the journey ahead. Thank goodness for our amazing parents, without them none of this would be possible.

In some ways, the last year two years of my life seem totally surreal and yet hidden within it all, I've found out what I'm really made of.  The quote, 'grow where you are planted' continues to resonate as I take this next step with my little family to begin this new chapter.

Much Love
xxx

20 comments:

  1. Oh exciting times Sophie! When you left Mildura I always felt a little regret that we did not meet in real life. There may be another opportunity for coffee at Fine and Sunny one day? Or Stefano's cafe? Who knows! Safe travels and best wishes for your new chapter x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be welcomed back with open arms Sophie, you don't have anything to worry about there. We have all changed in our own ways since you have been away but the things that made us be friends in the first place haven't and I'm sure that our friendship can only grow stronger.
    Grow where you're planted is on my blackboard at the moment, I love that quote. See you all very soon, we are all really excited to have you back and meet Miss Tallow. Love from Shell xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, so much exciting change happening for you! best of luck with the move, thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How very exciting for you all, all the best for a smooth move and enjoy finding your new home! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all sounds very normal to run and hide when faced with such incredible grief and now you are much stronger and you both are blessed with your beautiful girl you can get back out there in the world. Fantastic news that a wonderful job opportunity has arisen and is pointing you in the direction back to Mildura. Good luck with the final packing, moving and unpacking all with a baby...it's hard but do-able. It all sounds wonderful for your little family. All the best. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much luck Sophie
    It just feels (even from here) that its meant to be
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sophie, it was meant to be. Your move back to your lovely little town is the right thing for you and your family. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sentence means so much to me. I'm with you, living in a community is exaclty what I want but still figuring out where. So far, the feeling of community I liked best was in a Favela in Brazil, sounds unsafe but it's the way to live out of the system but still with people as a community. Simple life, working with the community as a social worker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All best wishes for your move - it sounds like it was meant. Good luck with all the packing and transporting and I hope it brings all that you're looking for. It's so special and important to return to a place that feels like home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, so exciting! How incredible that you can go back and fill up an old space with new memories. I know they say you can't go home again, but I've always thought you can--the place will be different, sure, but it's still home. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with your move! Wishing you lots of happiness in your new home! X

    ReplyDelete
  13. It really does sound like it was meant to be - best of luck with the move! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know the depth of all that you say and understand the journey through grief and to the light. I'm so pleased for you, I read this post with tears of joy and understanding, I'm so proud of you too. Bless your heart sweet thing. It's hard to fathom how amazing life can be after such heartbreak and grief but it's true it can be, I know first hand it can be. You're off to do amazing things mumma. All our love to you, Ben and Tallow, safe travels and sweet adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You follow your heart like no other and I really admire that about you. I know that wherever you end up you will find happiness and make it feel like home. Safe travels lovely lady. Melinda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Sophie how fabulous for you. when you heart aches for your feet to be planted elsewhere it is so hard to ignore that desire….us fellow Victorians will welcome you back with open arms! travel safe my dear and enjoy the journey xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sophie, what a special journey your little family has been on! I'm excited to see how life unfolds for you all once you are back in Mildura. Safe journey! xox Melania

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow this is beautiful and honest. I hate that you all went through such pain, but you've also been through such blessing. Healing is a wonderful and powerful thing. So happy for this. Ew opportunity and new season. Praying and wishing you all the best in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have a wonderful move and I can't wait to welcome you back upon your return. We are a military family in the U.S., and uproot every 2 years. I've grown roots and pulled them out in California, Korea, Colorado, and now in Hawaii I seek to find a place to grow and flourish. Change is never easy, but it comes with such amazing insight into life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wishing you and your family happiness in your new/old hometown. You certainly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x