Tuesday, 26 November 2013

The Merry Scent of Christmas..

 
Do you still get that little magical feeling inside at Christmas? Each year I long for that buzz and often stumble across it in the most unlikely of ways. That illusive magic sparkle can be tricky to replicate year after year, especially when life gets busy and the to do lists get long.  It was last weekend as we searched for a new Christmas tree that I realised for me this year, the magic is hidden in the aroma of my childhood Christmases.
 
This year, as we celebrate Christmas as with our beautiful Tallow, the holiday season has taken on a whole new sense of wonder for me and as I began to flick through my favourite seasonal magazines I realised I wanted that Christmas feeling and fast.   I tried my favourite Christmas carol, Dean Martin's fetching rendition of Winter Wonderland, I searched through old journal pages, I watched Nigella, Jamie and Heston embrace all the joy of Christmas cooking.. and yet no spark.
 
They spoke of traditional spices, cinnamon and cloves, chestnuts, eggnog and flaming puddings, but none of these truly evoked Christmas for me. My last resort was a spot of Christmas tree shopping to get me in the spirit.  Our current miniature tree has been with us for nine years, since our days renting a tiny duplex on the Gold Coast and while in Mildura we decided to enjoy an outdoor Christmas and made a recycled tree for the front porch.  So to celebrate Tallow's first Christmas we decided a new tree was in order and braved the Christmas shoppers for something special to begin our new family tradition. The carols were in full swing, the lights twinkling and the glitter abundant and as I wandered through woodland of Christmas trees that a little spark began to flicker inside.  It was the scent of faux pine needles that took me back to my grandparents apartment, five years old, in my special white party dress, waiting patiently by the tree to open presents on Christmas Eve.
 
Of all he magical smells of Christmas, it seems it's the strangely delightful (to me) smell of plastic pine that brings me joy. Not entirely romantic but wonderfully nostalgic none the less.  On further contemplation other festive scents I love include, the sweet smell of frangipanis, baking shortbread biscuits, cherries and of all things, wrapping paper.  So when it comes time to put up our tree this weekend, there will be shortbread in the oven, blossoming frangipanis on the coffee table and perhaps even a little Dean Martin playing in the background.
 
 What does your Christmas smell like?
 
Much Love
xxx
   


8 comments:

  1. Every year I think I should get a real pine tree to get that proper Christmas smell. There's nothing like it to evoke that real Christmas feeling. Alas, the fake tree came down from the rafters yesterday. I don't think the real thing would last long in our climate. Where do you get the fake pine smell from? Is it pretty realistic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a very strong childhood memory of the smell of our fake Christmas pine tree. It sounds strange but each year when it came out of its special cardboard box it smelt the same...it smelt of plastic I guess but it was lovely! Smells create a very strong memory don't they? I look forward to seeing more of your Christmas magic Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just had a peak at the recycled Christmas Tree from years past...how cute is that...I buy a new Christmas CD every year and it's usually the one in Myers that supports a charity. Last week when I was at Kmart I bought a $5 Bing Crosby Christmas CD and I've got a Dean Martin one as well....I love listening to those old tunes in the house and have started playing them. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tangerines and navel oranges always remind me of Christmas, as they are commonly sold in the shops at this time of year here in the UK and I particularly love them. My father always used to buy a crate of tangerines every Christmas, some of which were wrapped in tissue paper, and we would eat them over the festive season. I used to love unwrapping the wrapped ones and smoothing out the tissue paper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was younger, it smelt of my Nanna's devil's curry (a Eurasian delicacy! Odd to be called "Devil", I know). But recently.. it smells like a big barbecue! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mango and pineapple. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ours also smells like fake pine needles. We've always used a fake tree. But that's not the only thing Christmas smells like to me - it's tourtière (French Canadian meat pie), potatoes, and that kind of dusty-ish smell when you take out decorations that haven't been touched in a year. It's probably also many, many other smells...but these are the first ones to come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miss Sophie, how grand of you to accent our most beloved Dino in this way 'cause there is no better croonin' that Dino-seasonal croonin'! Never was, never will be anyone as cool as the King of Cool....oh, to return to the days when Dino walked the earth! Know that your reflections are bein' shared this day with all the pallies gathered 'round ilovedinomartin.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x