Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Baking Adventures - White Chocolate & Macadamia Biscuits..

Recently I've noticed that the art of nesting and nostalgia go hand in hand.  As I potter around my little nest, cleaning, rearranging and feathering along the way, I dream about the days ahead with our little adventurer and reminisce on my own childhood memories.  I find myself recalling the weekends of building cubby houses with my sister, eagerly exploring the my favourite little fairy shop on the way to the farmer's markets and opening the door to my grandparents apartment and racing to the kitchen to see what my Nan had baking in the oven.  

It seems that of late a little fire has been ignited in my heart for the domestic arts, thanks in part to this fabulous book and also because my Nan recently gifted me with her amazing collection of handwritten recipes and well loved cookbooks.  In turn my inner domestic goddess is now on the search for new crafts to learn and recipes to try.   

Although I've never been the most confident of bakers (I sit and watch the oven like a hawk), this year I really wanted to master a few great recipes to have on hand to bake for family and friends and to build my confidence in the kitchen. Mother's Day gave me a wonderful excuse to try out a few sweet delights, but there have been a few staples still on my to bake list. One of those recipes was a good butter biscuit.  

Inspired by my grandmother's Burnt Butter Biscuits, Nigella's old faithful butter biscuit recipe and Tabitha's  great flavour combination, here is my take on the humble butter biscuit, perfect to whip up for a morning tea with friends. 

White Chocolate & Macadamia Biscuits
290g of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
90g of almond meal
150g of unsalted butter
150g of sugar
1 large egg
A good handful of macadamia nuts (crushed)
A good handful of white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180°C and prepare biscuit tray with baking paper.
Cream butter and sugar together then beat in egg and vanilla. 
Add in dry ingredients, mixing gently then stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
 Your mixture should be a lovely dough like consistency.  If you have time (and patience) wrap dough in cling film and place in fridge to rest for about an hour or so.  If not.. 
Make dough into little biscuit size balls, place on prepared tray and gently flatten with a fork.
Bake for 9 - 12 minutes or until lightly golden around edges (you may need to bake in two batches).
Allow to cool for a long as you can be prepared to wait and enjoy with your favourite cup of tea and good conversation.

 Notes: This recipe is so wonderful because you can substitute the chocolate and nuts for whatever you like.  Get creative! The dough also freezes really well, so it's great to have on hand in case of a baking emergency.   And a word of warning... one is never quite enough!  

What have you been baking lately?
Much Love
xxx

PS.  You can see my gorgeous and ever inspiring Nan here with me at my baby shower. 

11 comments:

  1. yum! I must admit I am not a great baker but I luv looking at the pics :)

    Rowdy Fairy Blog
    Follow Me on Bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jam drops are always my favourite, straight from the oven while the jam is still warm. My husband and I can put away a whole batch very quickly. We always freeze dough too, for when you need a biscuit in a hurry. Hope you are enjoying your last weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Family recipes are the best arent they. That looks like my Mums recipe books hand written from school, I loved them so much I started my own cutting out pictures from magazines to suit the recipes I write in there. Although it doesnt have that old look I guess it will one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I can vouch for their loveliness!! What a beautiful post Soph x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right Sophie. Nesting and nostalgia do go hand in hand. You enjoy reminiscing, and preparing for this baby. S/he will soon be here. This looks like an amazing recipe. I think I will make this one soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im hungry just looking at your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Old cookbooks are so lovely to read through. The beautiful handwriting is really something.
    I love a good biscuit recipe and the macadamia and white choc combination is always a winner. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look very tasty, I will have to give them a try! I love baking and I really enjoyed that nesting stage of being pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look perfectly bite sized and look like they would be very difficult to resist. I might give those a go. I am now very much subscribe to the 'bake a shed load and freeze' way of living so freezing this dought to be able to pull out sounds perfect! My 'go to' item of choice at the moment is wholemeal sultana scones. Sooooo easy to make plus the little one can 'help' witht he baking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look great. If you're interested we are doing a recipe link up on the blog every Tuesday for the Kitchen Series. It would be fantastic if you'd join us. Www.poppyfoxathome.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x