Thursday, 2 May 2013

Autumn Ways..

My goodness, it's May and we've been living here in Brisbane for seven months. After spending the past five years in Victoria, I'm slowing readjusting to Queensland weather and it must be said that Autumns here are just not quite the same.  This of course is not to say they aren't beautiful, in fact the last few weeks the days have been nothing short of divine, but I am missing the cascading golden leaves and cool mornings that are such a delightful part of Autumn's sweet song.

 I woke up early this morning and for the first time this season, noticed that perfect chill in the air and as I shrugged on a cardigan and wandered outside to potter in the veggie patch, I took a deep breath and knew that Autumn had finally arrived.

~ With the change in the air has also come exciting changes in our world.  Decisions about where to create our new little nest and an overwhelming eagerness to unpack our treasures and begin feathering our home, especially our sweet bubba's nursery.  Those Autumn mornings remind me to stay calm amongst my enthusiasm, know that the right home will be waiting for us and embrace the simplicity that we have created in our lives this year.

~ My little stash of winter woolies has been located and my favourite vintage boots have already been on their first outing for the season.  It's so lovely to see some of my old faithful jumpers again and I'm just hoping I might be able to squeeze my ever growing bump into them over the next few months (and that the weather is cool enough for delightful, snuggly attire).  

~ After relocating out veggie patch a few weeks ago to a new sunny location and planting an Autumn bounty of rocket, carrots, cauliflower, peas, silverbeet and a good dose of strawberries, it's wonderful to see our little garden really taking shape and basking in the beautiful Autumn sunshine. I'm also looking forward to seeing what our favourite Farmers Market has in store this month and can't wait to buy lovely organic produce and try out some fascinating new to me recipes, especially butternut squash blondies and chocolate zucchini cake.  

And although some days I desperately miss my favourite maple tree out the back of our little Mildura cottage, I know that as surely as the seasons change, so do we. And these changes bring with them wonderful experiences and amazing surprises, which can only come from taking a leap of faith and venturing into wild and beautiful unknown. 

Much Love
xxx

5 comments:

  1. Well said....I lived in Melbourne for 2 years and it was freezing but I do love that everyone has woolly coats, scarfs and boots but the morning are getting a nip in the air and yes our days are pretty special at the moment. I remember taking my kids to Rainbow Bay (near Coolongatta) in July and they were swimming in the water...it was a beautiful sunny day and it was in the middle of winter. Not hot enough for me to swim but okay for the kids....Qld is a great place and of course Brisbane. If you want to get into some home baking without preservatives check out the post I wrote tonight at www.oursimpleandmeaningfullife.blogspot.com
    Regards Kathy A, Brisbane, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post. Autumn is my favourite season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me a little while to adjust to the changing of the seasons when I lived in Brisbane too. Autumn is my favourite time of year but I think when it comes to Brisbane, winter is the best. I originall come from Canberra and winter in Brisbane feels a lot like Spring in Canberra. Sunny but with a nic crisp wind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely post

    love mezz (who is freezing in melbourne!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Autumn is beautiful in Victoria! I used to live there when I was younger and one of my strongest memories of living there was the piles of giant golden leaves scattered everywhere! so beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x