Thursday, 31 January 2013

January Journal Pages..

One upon a time, I could fill an inspiration journal in a matter of months.. These days, well this journal still has many pages to fill and it's into its third year.  And that's totally fine by me. I'm really enjoying taking my time and watching the evolution of my aesthetics and design ideas over the years, but it did get me pondering why I haven't been picking up my trusty glue and scissors like I used to.. and then it struck me, I think Pinterest might have a little something to do with it. So as much as I enjoy Pinterest, I've decided this year, I'm spending a little bit more time going old school and devoting more afternoons to journal page making on the floor with a big stash of beautiful magazines. Here are a few pages from this afternoon..

Finds From Design.. Inspired by bright florals, modern prints and clever ladies. 

Modern Classics.. Inspired by globe trotting and bright ideas.

 Vivid Imagination.. Inspired by garden greens, vintage kitchens and tales of adventure.

If your a bit of a journal nerd like me and like to know all the lovely papery details.. This is an A4  hard cover sketchbook from an art supplies shop.  I've been using them for years for my inspiration journals and I love them! Perfect for making lovely double page spreads and for fitting in whole magazine pages. 

I'd love to know, are you an old school journal keeper? Do you still keep a scrapbook or pin board for inspiring bits and pieces or do you find Pinterest more accessible these days? 

Much Love
xxx

PS. I made a little film this afternoon of my page making process on Vine.  It's a super fun little app and I'm really enjoying capturing random creative moments.  You can find me @Her Library Adventures. 

16 comments:

  1. Inspiration journals are such a lovely way to keep track of the little things that would otherwise be lost in a magazine or bookmark folder and possibly forgotten. I love how they evolve!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't journalled for over a year now, and I miss it. Your collage pages are lovely.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous. Whenever I've tried to do them in the past I always forget and they get stashed at the bottom of my art box or portfolio. Maybe i'll try getting into it again
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been avoiding pinterest as I am concerned that joining may result in the neglect of my children for pinning! I still love my scrapbook and am using it dutifully for this upcoming renovation and even better my six year old son has discovered the joy and it is so fun seeing what he chooses to snip and paste. mel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Sophie! I still need to feel the textures associated with a scrapbook, as great as pinterest is i like to have something tangible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely pages! I use Pinterest all the time, but I am absolutely an old school journal keeper. I love going through magazines and clipping out the parts that speak to me. I even keep a few different journal, one for home and another for fashion. I think I might even start a third one for "general awesomeness".

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, i don't use pinterest most of the time, but my pc is full with pics that inspire me, and sometimes i print a few and keep them on my bedroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such a great artist's eye for color! Following you on GFC!
    Marium
    www.decoratevintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so beautiful. You may have inspired me to try something similar.

    Miri xx
    mirisblogazine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your journal pages Sophie. I'm an old school journal keeper from way back. It's one of very few things that relaxes me! Cake and tea is good too. Happy Friday to you. Melinda x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love a journal with inspiration in them!!!! I have "look books" to remind myself of what my dreams are for the future.
    Love V

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I'm with you Sophie! I love the smell of old cut out images from magazines stuck with sticky tape in big books of lovelyness! And nothing is nicer when you discover an old book of ideas many years later and think 'really? I liked that?' And sometimes finding that you tastes in interiors, your dreams, your wish lists, your ideas haven't changed a bit! Have a lovely weekend, might go through some old magazines.....x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love seeing your journal pages, Sophie. These are lovely - I'm thinking if vintage greens for my kitchen so perhaps I should start a journal page on that (or a Pinterest board!)
    I do keep a journal but it isn't a daily thing, more a weekly exercise. I have garden notes, story ideas and pressed flowers from my summer garden.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is lovely;) I remain an old-school journal writer, complete with ticket stubs, magazine clippings, and rantings on good and bad days, it is my place to just be inside my dreams and heart, then I utilize the blog for the rest and updates on what we are doing! I still have journals from when I was 8 years old, and they are delightful to look back on, especially when I realize how much I have grown, and how much of that 8-year old dreamer still lives on;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is lovely. My sister keeps an amazing inspiration journal that inspires her handmade creations. I am more of a travel journal keeper but have a little notebook next to my bedside where I sketch my ideas. I must admit, most of my inspiration imagery doesn't make it from my computer screen/phone camera, but I would love to start a book like this, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yes, I am an old-school, hard cover, perfect-black-pen journal keeper! Although not so much lately and yes, I blame the wonderful interwebs for distracting me. I have more journals than is considered legal - and all of them only partially full. I think there's a bit of a collector-habit going on there too (journals are aesthetically inspiring, no?)

    Interestingly... I'm starting a subject at Uni (part time) which has asked me to start a visual journal. Oh my. It is fate. I'm a little bit excited, and though I know I probably have a journal (or ten) that I should re-use, this calls for a bit of 'new journal' shopping.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x