Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Experimenting with Polaroids..

One of my goals from last year was to buy some film for the Polaroid cameras I had been collecting.  So as a treat before we set off on our adventures with Asher, I bought two packets of Impossible Project film for one of my favourite cameras.  However, once we got to Brisbane, I totally forgot about my film for a few weeks, while my Polaroid camera was hanging out in Asher, so I think the film might have become a little too warm, because this is what my first packet turned out like.  

Over the past few days, I've been experimenting with the film, altering the settings and conditions with some interesting and abstract results, but not quite what I expected.  After going through a few of the instructions again, I realised that I probably hadn't used the film quick enough and of course that it probably got way too hot in the caravan.  I also wonder if my lovely vintage Polaroid which I picked up at Hell's Kitchen Flea Market, needs a bit of love as well.  
   
I was about to throw my crazy overexposed experiments away, until I began to look at all the images together and became enchanted by the tones, lines and shadows.  Then I suddenly had a little burst of inspiration that these Polaroids could be transformed into something lovely.  So with scissors and glue in hand, a few lovely 1970s Encyclopedias and a sweet Lucy King teacup, I set to work this afternoon turning my experimental photos into some fun and cheeky collage art.  

'I get some of my best beautiful little thoughts in the most unsuspecting places'

'Pirates roamed the seas in search of lovely flowers'

I had so much fun putting these collages together, I'm looking forward to creating a whole little series.  So even though the photos didn't quite turn out as I was hoping, I'm determined not to give up on my lovely Polaroid cameras and will be trying again soon perhaps with a different camera and making sure I follow all the steps and tutorials carefully, so I don't over cook my film. 

Have you experimented with Impossible Project film before? I'd love to hear about your results. 
Much Love
xxx 

18 comments:

  1. they look beautiful soph, awesome job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried anything with the Impossible Project yet, but I've heard of them and would love to try someday! Thanks for sharing your results, and I love the collages! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a good way to use the pictures, lookes lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just so cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous way to make use of your polaroids, not a failure at all! I have two cameras that I have also been meaning to buy some film for. I have no idea whether they will work or not but want to give it a go. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you didnt throw those Polaroids away,as when I saw them first i thought they were really beautiful! I too, want a Polaroid camera and have been looking into the impossible project - someday soon I'll purchase one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving your creativity this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever idea for when the prints didn't quite go your way. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those collages look so nice. :) I love inspiring quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sophie these are wonderful! You're so excellent at seeing beauty in unsuspecting places :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are beautiful, Sophie! I purchased some black and white film from the Impossible Project, but only a few shots turned out. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those collages are so lovely! I love the pirate one!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a Polaroid 2000 land camera I've been meaning to order some film for to see if it works. Thanks for the reminder!

    I love your collages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you took something that most people would throw away and count as a failure and made them into something lovely!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful burst of inspiration for using those overexposed polaroids! I have been experimenting with the Impossible Project film too, all my results have been a little yellow and under-saturated. But I am enjoying the learning process.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! I have four packs of vintage film to use that probably will turn out this way...and I love how these look! I think I will take some pictures and share some like these with friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. it's too expensive to experiment for me...
    Nice though!

    Valentina
    Valentina Duracinsky

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x