Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Be Kind to Yourself..

Over the past few months, many lovely people have told me to be kind to myself.. and to be honest at first I wasn't really sure what it meant.  What is it that I was meant to be doing? Through my healing process I've really begun to understand the the vast emotions that one can go through in a day.  It is perhaps with this insight that I feel this simple phrase now takes on a whole new meaning.  

I've begun to realise that maybe we all need to be a little kinder to ourselves, each and every day.  Not just the days that are particularly low, but all the ones that are in between the wonderful and not so wonderful. Maybe each day we all need that kind soul to tap us on the shoulder, give us a hug and a sweet reminder that it will all be ok.  

So here is a virtual hug, a tap on the shoulder and a little list.. of a few ways that you can be kind to yourself.  Take half an hour, or even five minutes and remind yourself of how precious you are.

Way to be kind to yourself..
-Learn something new.. in my darkest moment, I decided to teach myself to hula hoop and you know what.. it really helped.
- Take a bath.. add bubbles, rose petals, candles, music.. anything to make it feel really special.
- Walk.. Just go.  No directions, no destination.  Just enjoy the sunshine.. or even the rain.
- A book, a big old chair and a cup of tea..enough said.
- Sit under a tree (if possible in your backyard).. Feel the earth and watch the magic that happens everyday around your home when you're not looking.
- Take a pen and a piece of paper.. Write down whatever it is you really want to say.
- Stop whatever it is you are doing.. Put on your favourite song and dance! Grab a family member or furry friend for extra fun.
- Do whatever it is that brings you joy!

Much Love
Sophie 
xxx

25 comments:

  1. I love just sitting under a tree and sketching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect lesson on how a little kindness can go a very long way.....my favourite is walking without purpose or direction....feels oddly indulgent?!
    Allison x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, agreed, agreed a million times over. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's true that we should always be kind to ourselves. I find writing down my worries and emotions helps a lot. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with all of these. So beautifully written. In final year of college, me and my friends would often go hulahooping our backyard when things got too stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful ideas, I agree that taking care of yourself is so important. Especially considering as women we are typically expected to be the ones taking care of everyone else.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good advice there, Sophie. Going through a similar situation 30 years ago, in a really flat moment late one hot afternoon I threw a blanket down under a tree in our backyard and lay on my back. For the first time in the 10 years we'd lived there I discovered the variety of birds in our garden. It opened my eyes to the native wildlife I'd been unaware of in suburbia. My husband bought me a bird book the next day and I've been a bit of a backyard "twitcher" ever since.

    Meanwhile, I'm off to buy a hoola hoop! I'm sure I can still wiggle my hips after all these years to give it a few turns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely ideas! And the most important, and hardest way of being kind to
    Myself as I go through grief is to say No to taking on too much voluntary work or anything over and above what I must do for my job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely ideas! And the most important, and hardest way of being kind to
    Myself as I go through grief is to say No to taking on too much voluntary work or anything over and above what I must do for my job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely ideas! And the most important, and hardest way of being kind to
    Myself as I go through grief is to say No to taking on too much voluntary work or anything over and above what I must do for my job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It can be so difficult to be kind to yourself sometimes, but I couldn't agree with you more Sophie - it helps so much! When you're feeling out of sorts for reasons large or small, the little things really do make a difference

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the tips :) i'm glad you are healing and hope that it continues! i'm sure brisbane is helping :) it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just need this today. thank you. really I mean it. it helps

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes we often need reminding to be kind to ourselves.
    All great tips that ring very true.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dancing, definitely, that's my choice. Hope you're doing Ok xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're so right, it's really important to take time for yourself and appreciate the world around you x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful Sophie, and oh so true! Thank you for the reminder. You strength is truly inspiring <3

    Katie xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great reminder Sophie! You are amazing.

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. i couldn't agree more x
    a virtual shoulder tap and hug right back at you lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sophie, I haven't read your blog (or many blogs) for sometime now. Your blog is all prettied up and your words... I needed to read them! Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  21. These all sound beautiful....
    It uplifts me to see that you are blogging again. I know the road is still a hard one, and will probably always will be. In the days after we lost Cameron, it was the little things like walking in the rain with Rick, or going out to grab a white chocolate mocha at Gloria Jeans that carried me through.
    I think your list is wonderful.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Loving this list. I look forward to having a tree in my backyard big enough to sit under... Till then I find peace in checking up on them each week, watching them change and grow. There is beauty and calm in nature, no matter how small.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Sophie,

    I'm new to your blog and this post struck a chord with me...

    Being kinder to myself is one of my goals for 2013. For me this involves getting rid of the negative / nasty self talk I can be guilty of at times and counteracting this with some of the good things you've listed, plus some physical stuff like nourishing food, green smoothies and listening to my favourite music and kirtan. Isn't it sad how we can be so much more harsh on ourselves than we ever would be with anyone else? 2013 is the year that this changes for me! :)
    I'm looking forward to reading some more of your lovely blog
    Jo :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love and vintage dreams ~ Sophie x