Thursday, 26 April 2012

My Collections - Part 5.. Vintage Cameras


There is something about old cameras I just adore... All the memories they have captured over the years, stirs in me true sense of nostalgia and every time I find one on a thrifting adventure, it just has to come home with me.  Now I love all old cameras but I'm particularly partial to Polaroids.. and over years of searching and a few very lucky finds, I've discovered a few treasures.


I just love all the different shapes and sizes, flashes, boxes and old instruction manuals. 


I have spent years searching for a cream Polaroid One Step with the adorable rainbow and I was so excited to find one at the Hell's Kitchen Flea Market in NYC.  But would you believe within a month of getting home from my trip I found the 1000 (with the green button) at a little second hand store on the outskirts of town.  So now I have a gorgeous pair!


I also have a pair of fabulous old Polaroid land cameras, that just make my heart sing every time I pick them up.  Although  until now I have only used them for props, so I can't wait to fire them up one day! 


So what does one do with this many cameras? Take lots of photos of course! Now I haven't tried them all, so I'm not sure if many of them work, but on my to do list this year is to purchase a whole stack of film and find out.  I can't wait to see the weird and wonderful outcomes and really,  there is nothing quite like shaking a Polaroid picture!

Do you have a thing for cameras? I'd love to hear about your collection!
Much Love
xxx

15 comments:

  1. I love this! Do you display them all somewhere or keep them in some sort of sensible storage solution?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a modest mini collection of vintage cameras. One Christmas when I was around 7 years old I asked for a camera and ended up with a One Step so that started me on a path. I have a working box camera, a working brownie starmatic (and box), a duaflex III, a 125 land camera (works/shoots) Polaroid and a handful of Polaroid one steps.

    I am extra thrifty when it comes to the cams or else I'd splurge on the spendy brownies at the huge antique mall place here. (I counted 25 cameras hanging out)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful stuff, Sophie. Your rainbow twins are gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. adore! i wish i shot film, but i invested every penny into my wayyy too expensive dslr when i started shooting professionally more. but oh boy does this neat collection make a lovely set of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, a vintage camera with racing stripes, glorious, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous!!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful collection! I have an extensive collection of vintage cameras--nearly 200--that I've been gathering for nearly 40 years. I started with my childhood Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash Fun, added my mom's Kodak Vigilant Junior Six-20 and the rest is history. I prefer folding and box cameras, but have some of nearly every type you can imagine. Believe it or not, all are displayed throughout our home. Thanks for sharing your cool cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous. So many happy Polaroids. I just posted not too long ago my collection: http://www.smallgoodhearth.com/2012/03/from-attic-camera-collection.html

    The land cameras with bellows are just too great. I'm hoping to get one one day. One day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! That is so funny because my bf & I recently started collecting cameras too (he makes fun of my instant draw to polaroids) & we've slowly been buying film to test them out. I can't wait to see your results & I'll be sure to show mine soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE THEM!!! my partner is a photographer and only shoots with old cameras (ranging from the 40's-70's) and the old polaroids are also his favorites. They are just SO much fun (although now we have pictures on just about EVERY service of our house). I keep on thinking I'm going to have a 'photo friday' on my blog to showcase some of his work!
    anyways, love them, I hope you start shooting with them soon!
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  11. I posted a while ago about my very small vintage camera collection. I used to do a lot of film photography when I was younger so I really do want to play around with them someday. Right now I have lots of film waiting to be used plus a half-used roll in one camera... I need to take more photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swoon. So jealous of the lands! I have a growing collection. Picked up couple of lovelies today which I'll share soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dying over your collection! I have a vintage camera collection as well. It would be a huge collection, except my space is limited. I have some displayed on a shelf on the wall, and the rest are stored for now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them all. Do you run into any problems finding the right film or flashbulbs? I'm so conservative with my supplies because I'm afraid of waking up one day and realizing my small vintage camera collection will be nothing but a display (which isn't all that terrible considering I love even just looking at them).

    <3Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!
    http://LetsGoThrifting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome camera collection! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x