Tuesday, 28 February 2012

My Collections - Part 2.. Johnson Dinner Plates



I really enjoyed sharing my typewriter collection with you last week, so I thought why not continue the collections this week with another one of my favourites, my Johnson Australia dinner plates.  This collection is one of my most recent, rapidly growing and one I just love for so many reasons.


Firstly, it's wonderful when a collection can also be practical and we use a rotating set of these in our kitchen everyday.  I love choosing different ones for dinner depending on the meal and our favourites for the week.

Another reason I love this collection is they are relatively easy to find around the place and it's a great thrill to spy the side of a plate amongst a big stack at the thrift store and rummage through hoping to find a new pattern. 


Of course, I couldn't just buy one of each, so this is my no means my entire collection, just the patterns I've found so far.  And this is my favourite reason for collecting Johnson.. the patterns seem endless, every time I think I've got them all figured out, I find an amazing new design to add to the collection.

So why dinner plates?  Well I collect all kinds of Johnson crockery but I find dinner plates most easy to come by and I love the size and colour of the designs.  


And my favourite pattern? It's a really tough choice, because they are all so sweet. I do love this floral pattern with bright orange and green accents and I'm really drawn to the detailed edges, which for me add something a little bit special to the traditional dinner plate.

So if you ever someone sitting on the floor amongst the bric-a-brac in your local thrift shop, it might just be me, searching for the next Johnson plate to add to my collection.  For more Johnson love, check out Laura, Kate and Zara, a few of my wonderful fellow collectors. 

Have you blogged about your collections? I'd love to check them out!
Much Love
xxx

18 comments:

  1. Lovely collection. I have several pieces to send to you if you want them for free!!! Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also collect Johnsons dinner plates, although you are certainly beating me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must have an astounding amount of storage space!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! I love these. I have been collecting floral vintage plates too! Hopefully I will get around to posting a collection blog soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay I love seeing collections.. thanks! I have been slowly blogging about mine. I think I've done 9 or so now.. I've often thought about a linky for this.. could be good idea. I love seeing people's collections and how they display them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are all amazing! I wish I had enough room in my apartment to start a collection like this!

    katiechamel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely! I've never seen them before though, I would love to come across one some day.

    xo, Megan
    gingerly

    ReplyDelete
  8. incredible woman, INCREDIBLE. MADE MY DAY! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!! My Kmart plates I bought when I first moved overseas are so chipped it's embarrassing now. I think you've inspired me to collect rather than just buy a whole set new again (much more fun and much more personal also).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowzer! I'll sheepishly admit that I've been selling/giving away these style Johnson's - all in the process of making myself only keep my very favourite things! But I do believe that the bottom right is my favourite design from your collection. There's some amazing patterns and detail in these endless Johnson patterns! With our recent move, I've also been noticing my collections and planning some ongoing sharing on the blog. Like Op Shop Mama I was pondering on a linky - somebody should do it!! I've started a list of things to share...should keep me busy.

    PS Totally jealous of the typewriters!!!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! I have the same set of your favourite orange too... except I have chopped it up into some pretty ballerina wall hangings, oval & love heart brooches ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. So beautiful. I've said before that you have inspired me to collect Johnson, but you are now inspiring me to buy a new china hutch to store it all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the patterns on these so fresh. I collect Meakin ware, I also have too much. I've seen some Johnson stuff here too in Ireland. Might buy some the next time I see them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohmygoodness my heart skipped a beat when I saw the top picture in my reader. It seems I am as happy to see that telltale chunky china edge in a stack of plates at the oppy as I am drooling over your gorgeous collection. Indeed there are some designs in there that I have yet to find for myself. Gorgeous!! And thank you for sharing, I've loved looking. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are very pretty! I wonder why have I have never spotted any... are they an Australian made/designed product? Will have to google to learn more. You have a great collection!!! I need to photograph my collections... my two favourites are milk/white glass (love all the shapes) & pyrex (so many patterns). Thank-you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My parents used to have a dinner set (including coffee cups) which was made by Johnson. It was only ever brought out on special occasions. Late last year, I was in one of the local op shops and found a plate exactly like the set they had! I would know those three sunflowers of orange and brown anywhere!! The man behind the counter charged me 20 cents for my trip down memory lane. Your collection is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super.Jealous.Right.Now.

    Your collection is awesome and very much appreciated by moi :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x