The other day I thrifted a neat little brown handbag for $2. I really liked the shape, but it was oh so boring. So I thought I'd make it much more fun by adding some chalkboard paint. Now I can change the look of my handbag whenever I like. Here's how I did it..
What you'll need: A cheap bag you are happy to restyle, mine is made of vinyl. I strongly suggest using vinyl or plastic as it takes the chalkboard paint well. Also choose a bag that has a nice flat surface that won't crinkle. You will also need, a small pot of chalkboard paint (from the hardware store), a tube of contrasting acrylic paint, a small paint brush, a small bowl of water and a rag. You will also need a chalk marker, I found a great range of them at the local newsagent.
1. Be sure to find somewhere ventilated to paint your bag. Make sure your bag is nice and clean, then apply a thin coat of chalkboard paint to the area you would like to write on. (Note: For drying times and further instructions please read the back of the pot carefully)
2. While you are waiting for the main area to dry, clean off your brush and paint any detailed areas you like with a contracting paint colour. I chose bronze acrylic paint to highlight the area and make the bag a little more shiny.
3. When the chalkboard paint is touch dry (this can take a little while depending on your weather) apply another coat, making sure you have painted into all the corners and edges.
4. Wait until the chalkboard paint is completely dry before you write on it. For best results I suggest leaving it at least overnight, otherwise the chalk marker won't be as easy to remove later on.
5. Now that the paint is dry, you can get creative with a chalk marker. These are so much fun! The type I used, wipes off with a damp cloth and is rain proof. They comes is a wonderful variety of colours too. Write a note, draw a picture, even jot down your shopping list.
Ta Da! Now you have a bag you can be super creative with any time.
And now that you have a pot of chalkboard paint, you can get creative with lots of different projects, for your kitchen, office and even your cupboards!