Saturday, 28 January 2012

Weekend DIY - Chalkboard Handbag


The other day I thrifted a neat little brown handbag for $2.  I really liked the shape, but it was oh so boring.  So I thought I'd make it much more fun by adding some chalkboard paint.  Now I can change the look of my handbag whenever I like.  Here's how I did it..


What you'll need: A cheap bag you are happy to restyle, mine is made of vinyl.  I strongly suggest using vinyl or plastic as it takes the chalkboard paint well.  Also choose a bag that has a nice flat surface that won't crinkle. You will also need, a small pot of chalkboard paint (from the hardware store), a tube of contrasting acrylic paint, a small paint brush, a small bowl of water and a rag.  You will also need a chalk marker, I found a great range of them at the local newsagent.  


1. Be sure to find somewhere ventilated to paint your bag. Make sure your bag is nice and clean, then apply a thin coat of chalkboard paint to the area you would like to write on.  (Note: For drying times and further instructions please read the back of the pot carefully)


2. While you are waiting for the main area to dry, clean off your brush and paint any detailed areas you like with a contracting paint colour.  I chose bronze acrylic paint to highlight the area and make the bag a little more shiny. 

3.  When the chalkboard paint is touch dry (this can take a little while depending on your weather) apply another coat, making sure you have painted into all the corners and edges.

4. Wait until the chalkboard paint is completely dry before you write on it.  For best results I suggest leaving it at least overnight, otherwise the chalk marker won't be as easy to remove later on.   


5. Now that the paint is dry, you can get creative with a chalk marker.  These are so much fun! The type I used, wipes off with a damp cloth and is rain proof. They comes is a wonderful variety of colours too. Write a note, draw a picture, even jot down your shopping list.   


Ta Da! Now you have a bag you can be super creative with any time.


And now that you have a pot of chalkboard paint, you can get creative with lots of different projects, for your kitchen, office and even your cupboards! 

Happy Creating!
xxx

34 comments:

  1. seriously, too cute! love your abundant creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some chalk paint in my life and I had never seen chalk markers before so cute and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is oh-so-clever! I love how it turned out :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea! And I love your shoes! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea! You can change your message each day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great restyle! such a cool idea !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever and absolutely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is stupidly cute and even if you didn't write on it it looks a million times more snazzy just with the black panel. Nice one. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. From drab to fab! Great idea. Isn't chalkboard paint wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful idea :)

    http://runningwithagluegun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! I am IN LOVE with chalkboard paint!!

    Tiffiny

    http://www.tiffinyepiphany.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cute idea! You really can do so much with the chalkboard paint...

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute. i've seen this on mugs but never thought of putting it on a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is delightful! What a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been reading your blog for a long time and just wanted to finally say "HELLO!".

    Absolutely love this DIY. Such an adorable idea. :) Can't wait to try it out myself.

    http://www.shopoctopie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute idea! Wish I would have seen this fantastic idea when I made my ChalkBoard Paint Ideas post... would have been perfect.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the most adorable DIY post I've seen in ages! :) xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I came over from Recycled Fashion, and I absolutely love this project! Big fan of chalkboard paint, but I've never seen it used this way. So cool! And great tip on the markers, as my first thought was "that chalk is going to get all over her cute outfit!"

    ReplyDelete
  19. amazing idea, absolutely love it

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great idea! I love chalkboard paint but never thought about adding it to a thrifted bag! So happy I just found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can not tell you how much I love this!! seriously brilliant!!
    http://theanamumdiary.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was going to make something like this with a brown bag, too. Love it! :) Your cam out beautiful.

    The pot of chalkboard paint goes really far, I've been painting all over everything and making many chalkboard creations...

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is a fabulous idea! I had no idea there was such a thing as a chalk marker...off to the newsagent I go...

    ReplyDelete
  24. how sweet! cannot believe you got that bag for two dollars

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x