Tuesday, 24 January 2012

This Little Notebook..



If you have been reading my ramblings for a little while you'll know all too well, I love stationery.  I always say to my students that I became both a writer and a teacher, so I could buy and use delightful notebooks.  Ok, so perhaps that's not entirely true, but when I was about ten, I did begin writing scribbles and musings because I realised I had to start using my notebooks for something.  It was a few years later that I first watched Harriet the Spy.. and fell in love with her wonderful composition notebook. I looked everywhere for one, but it seemed that Australian newsagents didn't like these lovely notebooks like I did.   My search continued ever since... and I have never found one in Australia. Over the years, the composition notebook has become somehow mythical. There is just something about the fabric binding, rounded edges and iconic black and white cover that spoke to me.  That somehow my words would flow more freely, perhaps be more beautiful on these pages.  

So you can imagine my surprise when I was at Officeworks this morning, buying bubble wrap and checking out Renee Anne's gorgeous stationery designs, when I stumbled across not one but two black and white composition notebooks in a box of assorted crazy colours. My childhood dreams have come true! 

And now I suppose the writing begins.. I always wanted to follow Natalie Goldberg's advice and fill one of these a month.  I'm not sure what I'll be writing about but with these magical little notebooks, anything is possible.

If you are now feeling in the mood for a little Harriet the Spy.. I stumbled across it over here.  You can also see these notebooks in action in one of my other favourite films, Stealing Beauty.

Much Love
xxx 

8 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, you can buy those lovely little notebooks for as little as $1 here in the U.S.! I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love composition notebooks! I just started a new planner and to do list notebook in a lime green composition notebook and it makes me very happy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a composition book before but now I want to head the local Officeworks and see if they have any. Notebooks are vital things to have in your bag - good for anything! I hope you have fun filling yours up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you posted about these - I have been looking for some hard covered books for recipes for ages and these are so cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god! I so wanted one of these growing up. I'm totally hitting Officeworks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, I don't know what a composition notebook is. Is there something really different about them? I get a bit addicted to lovely notebooks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I love stationary! I remember these notebooks; but when I was younger I didn't think about buying them and after reading your post I think I am going to buy some=)

    And I love your stationary and book related posts so much!=))

    ReplyDelete
  8. naw! thanks for mentioning me! weirdly too after seeing Harriet the Spy I also wanted these excat notebook. This of course was pre internet, I think, so I wasn't able to track one down easily.

    anyway, I am totally with you, it is the fabric binding you can't go past!

    Renee x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x