Thursday, 15 December 2011

Questions for a Bookworm..


If you could a favourite author just one question, what would it be? I would ask Lewis Carroll, why is a raven like a writing desk?

If an author gave you the chance to rewrite or to change the fate of a book character, who would you chose?   Robbie and Cecilia from Ian McEwan’s Atonement

   Did your parents read stories to you when you were little? If yes are there any special ones you remember the most? My parents spend a great deal of time reading to me and I think it’s why I love books so much now.  Some of my favourites which I still own include, Mulga Bill’s Bicycle by Banjo Paterson, The Secret Staircase and anything by Beatrix Potter.

What do you like more the smell of old antiquarian books or the smell of new fresh ones you just bought? Old books. Second hand book shops and libraries are my favourite places to be.  I have been known to wander around and pick up the books just to smell them.

You get the opportunity to choose between to secret talents: either to be able to make things come to life through reading them or the gift to read yourself into a book. Which one would you like to have? Oh this is tricky, I think I would like to read myself into a book.  There are just so many wonderful places to explore! Wonderland, Neverland and Oz would all be high on my to visit list.

  Do you have a favourite children’s book or a favourite fairy tale? I have so many! A few of my favourites are, The Secret Garden, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Peter Rabbit.

Someone would talk to your friends and ask them to compare you to a book character. With who do you think would they compare you? I love this question, I’ve been told my name sounds like something from Mary Poppins and I have been compared to both Alice and Dorothy.  I’m not sure who I would prefer to be!

Tell me the name of a writer who you would like to have as a friend. Oscar Wilde, he would make the perfect dinner party guest.

You can hide in a written down world for only one night into which world do you escape? Into the secret garden of course, hopefully Mary will give me the key. I’d also love to go dancing with the Bennets or the Marsh girls and go back to Paris in the 1920s, sitting at a café with Hemingway and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

You have to flee to an unknown place and all you can take with you are three books of all the ones you own. Which three ones do you put into your bag? My tattered copy of Ernest Hemingway’s A Moveable Feast, a very early copy of The Glass of Fashion by Cecil Beaton and Virgina Woolf’s, A Room of One’s Own, because in their own way, each is wild, raw and beautiful.


These questions were adapted from Madamedaydream.  If you are a bookworm too, feel free to share the bookish love, can't wait to read your answers.

Much Love
xxx

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet post!
    I've been bookish this week on my blog too...I just finished The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins and it was so good I just had to share!
    Have you read it?
    http://lifesjewelsonstring.blogspot.com/2011/12/book-review-moonstone.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your answers! Such an interesting set of questions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on board with all your responses. I always thought Oscar Wilde and I would be bffs but the kind of bff that annoys you and puts you in awkward situations but yet you can't stay away from. lol. Maybe that's just me. :)
    ~Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love mulga bills bicycle- i had to read it with my little class and get them to share in the beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sophie, I love this idea :) I wish I was as well read as you
    toni xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. great answers! after seeing this post a being the bookworm i am, i decided to answer these questions also in a post on my blog. check it out!

    -morgan<3

    http://littlealpaca.blogspot.com/2011/12/these-questions-we-ask-ourselves.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these questions!

    I am going to let them brew in my mind for a bit and then post my answers on my blog.

    Thanks for sharing these and getting my mind whirling on a Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog somehow, and it's lovely! I have a number of things in common with you, from what I can tell. I studied in Paris, I'm an English and French teacher, and I love, it seems, many of the same books. These are fun questions and I agree with your answers for most of them. If I had to ask an author a question about a book, I think I would ask Shakespeare if Ophelia and Hamlet were lovers or if they were chastely in love. I always have trouble answering that question for my students. I like to think it's the latter, but I suspect it's the former. Alas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x