Thursday, 24 November 2011

Home Tour - Living Room.

Since the day we moved in, the living room was the one room I really wanted to change.  The walls were pink, the fireplace was all blocked over and very over powering and the whole room felt really dark.  The beautiful high ceilings and pressed tin roof are such a unique feature, I always found it difficult to decide what direction to take the room in.  When we found our lovely arm chairs earlier this year, I knew they would become the focus of the room and with this in mind I began to gather bits and pieces inspired my husband's love for nature and science mixed with my secret yearning to live in a lighthouse or in the captain's quarters of the Black Pearl. I feel like this room will continue to evolve as we find more treasures, but for now this is our little nook.


Our eclectic collection of furniture has evolved from mixing our personal styles and always managing to find a preloved piece or two when out thrifting.  Besides the beloved chairs, my favourite piece in the room is the TV stand, which is a handmade artist's work bench we bought for $10.  We use the suitcases underneath to store all our music and films.  


The fireplace is part of the room's evolution.  At the moment we have left it raw and added a few logs and candles.  I love seeing the the original bricks which are now over eighty years old.  

Details..


I finally found a little spot for my part of my camera collection.  I have a few more scattered around the house but it's lovely to finally see them all coming together..


This is my first home with a real fire place and I just adore having a place to create little ever changing vignettes which often include bunches of feathers (I'm a bit of a feather collector).


This vignette tells a little tale of a girl searching for the sea.. I found the lantern at the tip, the framed image is from a magazine and the lovely piece of knotted wood I picked up by the river.  

I'm loving our work in progress living room and can't wait to add a few more interesting and peculiar pieces to the shelves and walls.

Much Love
xxx

11 comments:

  1. It's a really beautiful room. Just lovely. I want to curl up in there and read a book while it pours with rain outside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love absolutely everything about this room. It looks very homey and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So warm and inviting. I really like all the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your lounge room is amazing Sophie. I'm sure we'll be seeing your little abode in a few home magazines in the not too distant future. Have a beautiful end to your week. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sophie, I absolutely adore your lounge. It looks so warm and cozy. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely space. Those chairs are just wonderful and add such a nice warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love it. those super high ceilings and the wooden floor, fire place. this is a pretty wonderful light filled room to laze around it. your details are lovely. i would enjoy seeing a 'before' photo, sounds hard to imagine and looks like you have put life back into this wonderful home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your living room looks amazing! I think I need to bookmark this post.

    My hubby and I are looking to buy a house sometime in 2012 and the thought of having our own little space to decorate is so exciting!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x