Wednesday, 14 September 2011

Writing Lists.. Tips and Ideas

Inspired, overwhelmed or just a little stressed out? One if the best ways I find to get my mind organised is to write a list or two.

When I'm inspired or procrastinating I know I can get really side tracked, so having a hand written list always helps me to stay focused and get things done more efficiently.  For me the best bit about a list is that when you finish a task, you can cross it off! I always feel a little sense of achievement when I see a long list getting smaller. 

So I thought I'd share with you a few of my own lists and tips for keeping all your ideas and to dos organised. 

Whiteboard


Perhaps it's the teacher in me, but I love using a whiteboard to stay organised with my blog.  I have this one on my office wall and keep the week's blog ideas here as well as a few inspiring images and quotes.

 Post Its


I love post its! I use these for smaller notes like this 'afternoon to do list'.  I often write these type of lists as they keep me on track during a busy afternoon.

Notebook


I can never go past a cute notebook and they are perfect for keeping all your ideas in one place. I carry this one in my handbag and while I'm at work, to note inspiring thoughts and blog ideas when I'm out and about.

Scrap Paper


Sometimes there is nothing like writing down everything you need to complete in a day on a nice bit of scrap paper.  This was my list from yesterday and includes work, Uni and blog post ideas. I like to write in fun colours, to keep my lists cheerful and also colour code important items.  

 iPhone Apps

I just discovered a fun free To Do iphone app! It's just perfect for making lists with details and you can highlight your notes based on priority and date. I've been using this for long term items and notes on things to do in NYC.  If you are the app type, here is a whole list of useful To Do apps.

 Are you a list writer? I'd love to hear you tips and ideas too!

Much Love
xxx
    

9 comments:

  1. Hmm! I've been using Wonderlist, but maybe I'll try out some of these! Love the iPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good list! I don't necessarily get around to crossing things off (when I do it is a sign of improved organisation!). Often it's just the writing of it that I find therapeutic. I do a mix of scrap, notebook and iPhone too. I've only used the notes app that's already on there so will check out the To Do's. I wonder what it would be like if I just designated one notebook for lists...might end up as an interesting reflection of my internal preoccupations!!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lists, in fact the picture on my blog today is of my days list. :)

    I am constantly jotting things down in cute notebooks and especially my moleskin journal.

    xx, C

    ReplyDelete
  4. This must be the day for writing blog posts about lists! :) I just read The Violet and they had a weekly to-do list up. I completely agree with you about the sticky notes - I'm ADDICTED to my sticky notes application on my mac after I realized it was a lot tidier than keeping about thirty actual post-its on my desk. :p
    -giedre
    www.walkingdotphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a list day, as I've just made mine, although I start pretty much everyday with a list! Lately I've been using an actual Day Planner pad, which is fun because it makes mt feel more 'official' - silly perhaps but it helps!
    Big fan of sticky notes too (they surround my screen) - have downloaded various iPhone apps but tend not to use them well - pen and paper always works best for me! Although using them for long-term lists sounds like good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always have like a million lists going! XO, Rae

    http://aneclecticheap.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a compulsive list maker and I love seeing the lists that others make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can barely start my day without some sort of 'to-do' list. It really helps me focus and clear my head. I don't always get around to doing everything, but just the going through the motions of sitting down with pen and paper really helps x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that said "Hate Book" at first glance and I was so very confused. Haha.

    --Jaclyn T

    Silver Twig Necklace GIVEAWAY @ my blog:
    http://positiveponderings.blogspot.com/2011/09/necklace-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x