Wednesday, 23 February 2011

The Tale of Two Chairs..


As promised on Sunday.. This is the tale of a little thrifting fate and how I came to acquire two very special chairs.  


As usual my hubby and I headed down to the local tip shop, Around Again on Saturday morning in search for some crates to for my studio.  As we wondered in, the bumped into our good friends, a delightful couple who we had been thrifting with the week before.  We got talking about an amazing lounge setting in the good room, that they had just been look at.  Of course we all dashed back in and I'm sure you could hear me gasp from miles away.  There in front of us was the most lovely vintage lounge and armchairs, the perfect colour I'd been on the look out for, in amazing condition. We started joking, perhaps we could buy them.. but what would we do with a whole set? I started looking around at other things, but I kept coming back to the suite. This was certainly not an everyday find.


We chatted a little longer, and realised we just couldn't leave without this treasure.  It was almost too good to be true.  Then we somehow stumbled upon an idea.... We could go halves in the setting.  They buy the lounge and we buy the arm chairs.  It was perfect and just what we all wanted.  Of course we all laughed at the prospect of going home with half a setting but then one thing led to another.  A few phone calls to borrow a ute, a little haggling on price, a whole lot more laughing at the craziness of what we were doing and within half an hour they were ours. I love my thrifting friends! Without a doubt my best flea market find ever.

As yet, I'm still working on the perfect home for my chairs, but I've very inspired now to get working on my next renovation, the lounge room.  

Much Love
xxx


23 comments:

  1. I too, would have not been able to part with those chairs and would have moved heaven and earth to have them! What a find!

    I'm dying to know how much you spent?? That info is important to us thrifters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are truly beautiful! i especially love the book with the tea cup on top :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic story! I love that it was a shared thrift. It's such a shame that we can't keep furniture like a styled shoot and leave those chairs in the grass forever. They look beautiful there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, what a cute story! And how lucky that you managed to come to a comprimise :) The chairs are beautiful, a classic style and gorgeous colour. I love mustard yellow!

    Your new studio is amazing too :)

    Xx Claire

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting... what an amazing find! ENJOY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want I want how lucky were you? They are stunning.I also would lik eto know what the bargain price was as Beck said its a must for us thrifters to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story! And even lovelier chairs! Now all you need is a batch of tea-cakes and you're sorted :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lucky find that was...I most certainly could not have passed them up either...can't wait to see them in situ in their new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They're stunning but Oh Please, Please you've dazzleed us with the image, please tell the price too, curiosity is killing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. L.O.V.E those chairs!!......love the story that goes with them!!
    and just want to add I love your little studio.....its so cute + fun......esp the use of the bath!!
    thx for sending thoughts our way in your previous post......both NZ + Aussie have had such a hard time of it late!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm almost sick with envy. The colour is to die for, and my absolute favourite going in to autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those chairs are awesome! Very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love love love them!! And love the story behind them. ENVY!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a great idea, and such a find too *chair envy*. I can see why they needed an entire post to themselves :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooo stunning find. If only I was so lucky! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. These chairs are so amazing, I cannot believe you found these at the thrift store!!!
    Wearing It On My Sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic outcome, you would never have forgiven yourself if you had left them behind.

    I came across a beautiful 1930's lounge suite while on holiday for an amazing price, I still regret not snapping them up.

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, what a comfy chairs! I really love it! :D...and so lucky you are too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those chairs are just too too gorgeous!
    Congratulations and well done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my lordy! I have a chair that matches your two exactly. I picked it up on the side of the road whilst living in London. When we moved back home to Australia i just couldn't leave it behind and have it tucked away in a reading nook in y sitting room. Congrats on your find.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love, love, loooove them! :D I've always wanted one or two of these in gold or burnt orange!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! ~ I just love receiving your comments! I'll be sure to pop by your place too. Much love ~ Sophie x